UK Worker of the Year 2013 | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss UK Worker of the Year 2013 in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

L

ladyapprentice

Very proud to announce that Paul Dove from Lincoln is the only plumbing and heating engineer who has made it as a finalist in this years UK Worker of the Year 2013, sponsored by Dickies and in association with Susuki. The award ceremony will be on 18th October in Reading where Quentin Willson will announce the winner. The first prize is a choice of a new Susuki car or motorbike. Unfortunately Paul was the victim of a rogue main contractor last year and was not paid for a number of large projects - £90,000 loss and he had to sell his motorbike in order to pay suppliers so I would love for him to win that. Despite selling his personal possessions the company was forced into liquidation. To bounce back from the immense pressure and blow to his confidence making it into the top 8 is a huge achievement. Please go to https://www.************/ukworkeroftheyear?fref=ts and like the page. I would encourage all of you to enter next year, despite the, sometimes, bad reputation plumbers have, we all know they are a very hardworking bunch :smilewinkgrin:

no plumber/tradesman should win uk worker of the year. Tradesman of the year maybe i guess. There are many important and difficult jobs done by wonderful people that do derserve praise and to win something nice.

Tell the winner to give his/her prize to a good charity.

AWheating - I agree that there are many wonderful, hardworking people out there, the emergency services to name one, but would that mean they could only win Emergency Personnel of the Year? Anybody who works is a worker. Luckily something the organisers of the competition agree with. There are many grateful people out there only too happy to see a plumber when their water pipes have burst, they can't flush the toilet or there is a gas leak! I commented saying that I would like Paul to win the bike as he had to sell his last year to pay for materials, he is just happy that he has been nominated and reached the final. As for donating any prizes to charity, Paul supports local charities throughout the year, a special needs school for children, a local football team and a cancer charity, donating money, prizes and time, he wouldn't just choose to donate if or when he was lucky. enough to win anything.

i dont think you quite got my point. I think that no plumber should win anything like this. Good luck to paul but i vote for the guy who lost his legs working for his country. Id like to see him get a bike.

Last edited:
i dont think you quite got my point. I think that no plumber should win anything like this. Good luck to paul but i vote for the guy who lost his legs working for his country. Id like to see him get a bike.

I read it slowly but I don't get your point either.

Any worker should get worker of the year and really there are millions of great workers in this country, who go beyond the minimum to do a good job and provide a great service.
I rather suspect any of the people who regularly post on here are within that group.

Good to know plumbers and other tradesmen can be recognised within this bunch of top class people - whether they win as number 1 or not.

If your going to generalise one of these advertisement campaigns to worker of the year which i assume covers everbody from a paperboy, to family members who give up a career to care for somebody, i would think a plumber winning it for providing excellent service would be astonishing. Yes im cynical :)

Worker of the year????

what a mug imho

who actually wants to work hate working awfull stuff my idea of work is lording it up living the dream not the eternal doldrums of up at 6 home at 6 knackered pfffftttt

hardest workers I ever saw were the lasses on Union St in Plymouth, cant vouch I had the pleasure but they worked long hours and needed to get customer satisfaction to be paid :)

Shhh... Shes a lady... Doubt she can move big boilers, drill holes all day long :p worker of the year... BAH! Your looking at him right here :p YOYOYOYOO!!
I can actually move large boilers and it doesn't take me all day to core drill a hole for a flue! If you read post properly I am congratulating Paul for reaching the final of worker of the year, not me. If you were the worker of the year maybe your name would have appeared in the final list too. When I originally posted the thread I thought maybe you guys would have been happy for a fellow engineer but some comments seem to smack of jealousy.

I can actually move large boilers and it doesn't take me all day to core drill a hole for a flue! If you read post properly I am congratulating Paul for reaching the final of worker of the year, not me. If you were the worker of the year maybe your name would have appeared in the final list too. When I originally posted the thread I thought maybe you guys would have been happy for a fellow engineer but some comments seem to smack of jealousy.

What about 40" stone walls? Or winstone stone? How do you cope with that? I won the previous worker of the year, gave all my proceeds to charity in return of cuddles all around. Sure paul is a nice chap, tell him good luck and when i see him i will give him a nice tight squeeze :)

oh dear..........you appear by your name to be " a lady apprentice" and as such a new addition to this wonderful trade, however....no one on here will wish bad will to a fellow tradesman competing to be recognised as a "top professional" among his piers. What you will not get from seasoned and wrinkly old git as myself, is the enthusiasm high five thingy. Good luck Paul.

I guess if you're passionate about your job and enjoy the challenges then it would feel like you've never worked a day in your life!

I'm afraid no matter how passionate you may get about your job or how much you relish the challenges you'll find your body will tell you otherwise (with a vengeance :smile:)

Whats the difference between a worker and a grafter?
Over my many years in this game i've met plenty who could be nominated grafters of the year.
The only recognition they ever got was a wage at the end of the week and some calluses, bruises and maybe a toast at their funeral after a shortened life.

This game is no joke and will kill you one way or the other.

Whats the difference between a worker and a grafter?
Over my many years in this game i've met plenty who could be nominated grafters of the year.
The only recognition they ever got was a wage at the end of the week and some calluses, bruises and maybe a toast at their funeral after a shortened life.

This game is no joke and will kill you one way or the other.

Never over stated but, always to the point......ill meet you one day and stand you a drink !

Never over stated but, always to the point......ill meet you one day and stand you a drink !
Give me a shout if you ever come north of the border................down Mexico way (i'm singing that bit) :lol:

Seriously if you are ever up this way give me a shout Ted.

I agree there are many hard working unsung heroes out there, emergency services, soldiers, care workers but I was merely trying to say that a fellow plumbing and heating engineer was in the final. I see Paul come home physically and mentally knackered but he gets up the next day and carries on, despite being ripped off £90,000 last year! It may not be a wow moment for people but everybody needs plumbers and heating engineers. Who will condemn a fire if its unsafe, thereby saving lives, who will fix the leaks, thereby saving thousands of pounds of damage, who will fix sanitary ware and waste systems to make sure things are running smoothly? Who will suffer from asbestosis after fixing your fire? I am sorry if I offended anybody, I wasn't trying to big Paul up, I was merely highlighting that the trade had been recognised and this year Paul was in the running. Please be supportive of that

Back