Unbelievable gas leak | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unbelievable gas leak in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

goz666

Gas Engineer
I fit a new boiler a while ago at a property including new upgrade to 22mm gas pipe. Got a call on Thursday saying they could smell gas, went straight there and did a let by and TT. No drop whatsoever, did the TT twice because I have a trainee with me and he had no drop,customer was watching all the time and I explained the test and what we were looking for.

Just had a call again this morning saying she's had National Grid out and they've changed the anaconda because the engineer said it was pinholed, probably caused by me soldering near the meter and also its probably been leaking since the boiler was fitted !!!!

I'm puzzled, she's only just started smelling gas and the boiler has been in at least 10 weeks. The new upgrade was right back to the meter including new Union so the meter was removed back to the ECV while hot work was ongoing and two days after I did a tightness test the Grid engineer says he found a leak ?? Pretty much pi55ed me right off !!!

If you got flux on the anaconda it will eat through it in no time at all. If they're not chasing you for a claim I'd just put it down to experience and move on.

It is strange that you had no drop in all your tests , do u use digital or water u gauge ? Not that it makes much difference just curious , could it have been leaking intermittently ? Is the meter inside the property as they managed to smell it ???

If you got flux on the anaconda it will eat through it in no time at all. If they're not chasing you for a claim I'd just put it down to experience and move on.

APP is 100% right. Do you use everflux? I actually think there was a technical bulletin out about this not so long ago

I use a water gauge, and the meter is in the vestibule of the house. She noticed the smell a few days ago, hence I went round to check.

I only use Laco or Powerflow flux, and the only way flux could've got on the anaconda was directly off my hands as we removed the meter and anaconda whilst soldering. Maybe that's what caused it but I still don't understand no drop on my gauge two days ago and she could smell gas but we couldn't. Anyway we live and learn, I only posted because I remember reading a post a while ago from someone saying they were being disciplined at work for leaving a leak on a gas fitting

I use a water gauge, and the meter is in the vestibule of the house. She noticed the smell a few days ago, hence I went round to check.

I only use Laco or Powerflow flux, and the only way flux could've got on the anaconda was directly off my hands as we removed the meter and anaconda whilst soldering. Maybe that's what caused it but I still don't understand no drop on my gauge two days ago and she could smell gas but we couldn't. Anyway we live and learn, I only posted because I remember reading a post a while ago from someone saying they were being disciplined at work for leaving a leak on a gas fitting

new meter? as it might have a one way valve

Doesn't a proper tightness test involve spraying the anaconda? So I presume that it wasn't leaking when you did yours?

The reason you didn't find the leak is because the governer must have locked out. You obviously did your tt right, so faulty governer/regulator.

Doesn't a proper tightness test involve spraying the anaconda? So I presume that it wasn't leaking when you did yours?
I did spray, LDF all over the meter including both unions, the anaconda and sprayed right back to the ECV as I've had the ECV leak in the past !! No signs of leaks anywhere when I did it !!

How are you going to do that with a bottle and brush? That's what the gas supplier uses.

Just curious. Where does it state this?
I don't LDF the anaconda itself unless I suspect a leak after tightness test.

What pressure do you TT at?
Does your FGA do a tightness test and printout?

The printout give a little proof that there was no leak at the time if testing.
It's a pain but priceless in this type of situation.

Maybe the anaconda was only leaking at a slightly higher pressure (25mb)

Water gauge is your only man. Ive had the electronic ones giving me wrong readings before. Water gauge is what all the national grid blokes use now for the same reason.

The printout give a little proof that there was no leak at the time if testing.
It's a pain but priceless in this type of situation.

Maybe the anaconda was only leaking at a slightly higher pressure (25mb)

My word that time of test was is good enough. Let someone try and prove any different.

ACS done again last November and as stated, let by 7-10 and TT 21mb no change in timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yeah but they don't always just detect Natural...
Replies
Views
How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
you will have to call the gas transporter /...
Replies
Views
He’s brave leaving it on with a drop and a...
Replies
Views
Back