Unbelievable gas leak | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Unbelievable gas leak in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fairly common occurrence. Any deposits of powerflux or similar o an anaconda has the potential to nibble through within as little as a few weeks.

As stated, when TT be careful to avoid regulator lock up.

I will sometimes do a let by test, then slowly raise to an intermediate level,,say 15 mb and closely observe then raise to final test pressure of 20mb avoiding lockup.

Even so ,it is entirely possible to have a pin holed flex due to flux that will hold a correctly applied TT and will only leak intermittently.

Remember the flux is semi solid and can easily plug a pinhole and then if ambient conditions change (eg warm weather) ,the flux blob softens and it blips some gas out again.

Even squiriting with LDF needs care as it can sometimes wash away/soften flux blobs thus revealing a leak but it can also seal up the leak !

so you tell your customer; national grids equiptment has failed luv, their the ones responsible for it. :)

True ,,it all creates valuable work and generates income..keep blobbing lads .

Only slightly relevant but nothing downstream of the ECV belongs to Grid or the transporter. If anything downstream of the ECV eg meter/reg is duff then transporter/grid may replace/rectify as long as there is a contract in place. This is then internally billed to the equipment owner kerching $$ keep blobbing..

You All seem to be forgetting the Anaconda is at 75mb (medium pressure) as its before the regulator.
Also the meter govenor is always in lock out if no appliances are in use.

Thats the reason you LDF the anaconda its the higher pressure.

You All seem to be forgetting the Anaconda is at 75mb (medium pressure) as its before the regulator.
Also the meter govenor is always in lock out if no appliances are in use.

Thats the reason you LDF the anaconda its the higher pressure.
Not during a proper tightness test it's not. As long as regulator is functioning correctly.
This is why tightness test is 20-21mb. Regulator should not lock up until 3-5mb above WP.
This then tests everything downstream of ECV. So there no requirement to LDF anaconda unless you have a drop and are tracing a leak.

I only recently did my acs and they say i should ldf anaconda and if it lets by i could crack the nut and ldf inside!

I said why would i do that its not my responsability and they said well you dont have to but you could if you wanted to. I think thats wrong so inwont touch it anyway!

Ldf the anaconda was advised as a must

Maybe as it reached standing pressure it was enough to cause the leak?

you made it then? lol

I only recently did my acs and they say i if it lets by i could crack the nut and ldf inside!

think you would find thats a 'you could crack the nut and ldf inside, but the transporter wont like you doing so as it belongs to them' thsats because you cant do anything lawfully to it.

Yep, pretty bloody pointless mentioning it to people in the class!
I wonder how many have actually tried it anyway

I only recently did my acs and they say i should ldf anaconda and if it lets by i could crack the nut and ldf inside!

I said why would i do that its not my responsability and they said well you dont have to but you could if you wanted to. I think thats wrong so inwont touch it anyway!

Ldf the anaconda was advised as a must

Maybe as it reached standing pressure it was enough to cause the leak?
Advised!
Comes down to personal preference I think.
Wasn't a requirement to do it on my ACS 5 years ago and I never have unless I have a drop and suspect Anaconda is compromised.
Also resat my ACS 3 weeks ago now and had question asked by my assessor.... after a successful tightness test carried out to standards are you required to LDF the Anaconda?
My answer was NO as tightness test was sound! Correct!

I was always taught three sprays. One on the Ecv Union, one where the anaconda meets the regulator and one on the test nipple.

You say they changed the anaconda but did they also change the governor? I am thinking that is more likely to have been the problem.

I have noticed they often have the anaconda sealed and attatched to the governor ready to be fitted and tend to just change both.
Its just I have come across the governors leaking and causing similar symptoms ie only leaking when they regulate the pressure so this does not show up in the tt.

There was a make of governor that was more prone to doing this and I think it was donkin or something similar.
As a result I pay a bit more attention to them! A bit of ldf round the bleed hole in the top might give you an idea if there is a problem. If you have it dismantled for any reason I seem to recall that they rattle if you shake them (if they are faulty).

Common pressure tiers are

0-75mb low pressure
75mb-2 Bar Medium pressure
2-7 bar intermediate pressure
above 7 bar..high pressure

You will rarely see anything like 75mb on a domestic service unless it is med pressure and it incorporates a single or two stage med to low pressure regulator,

Common standing pressures on low pressure services would be anything from around 24mb to 35mb but typically around 26mb.

B6 reg in Northern Ireland is let by ecv 16 mbar , 10 mbar let by reg and 19 mbar tt . There's so much back pressure which can hide a leak on gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yeah but they don't always just detect Natural...
Replies
Views
How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
you will have to call the gas transporter /...
Replies
Views
He’s brave leaving it on with a drop and a...
Replies
Views
Back