unvented cylinders on gas safe card | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss unvented cylinders on gas safe card in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
seen on gas safe webiste one engineer had unvented cylinders g3, i have unvented hot water installer on my jib grading card is it the same qualification ?

I dont know i was just on the GS website checking out local competitors, one guy caught my eye because along with the usual "boilers, cookers, fires" he had unvented cylinders g3, where as as far as the GS website is conscerned i can only fit open vented cylinders

Is that because he would register through gas safe competent person scheme?
Just done my unvented today and now need to pay an extra 100+vat to add to my oftec subscriptions to self notify.

I dont know i was just on the GS website checking out local competitors, one guy caught my eye because along with the usual "boilers, cookers, fires" he had unvented cylinders g3, where as as far as the GS website is conscerned i can only fit open vented cylinders

you can still fit unvented if you got it on your jib card. gas safe just dont know you have unvented yet send a copy of the certificate to them with you details and n.i. number.
the jib know when your unvented runs out so after the 5 year you would need to send your new unvented certificate to them again and also gas safe

funnily enough my jib card runs out 3 weeks apart from when my unvented card does maybe this is why they run out sort of at the same time so that when applying for your new jib card here in scotland anyway you wont get a new jib card until you pass unvented again as water byelaws and unvented are a requirement in order to get graded in scotland.
so basically if I failed the unvented the scottish jib board would not issue a new grading card until I passed unvented again.
think the unvented course was the easiest I have ever sat even water byelaws was harder due to all the boring info in the water byelaws

I seem to remember when G-S started that they refused to continue the CORGI practice of including UV on the card.

It would be interesting to know why they put it on his though.

Tony

I seem to remember when G-S started that they refused to continue the CORGI practice of including UV on the card.

It would be interesting to know why they put it on his though.

Tony
I don't have my unvented listed on my card.:confused:

i dont have an unvented cert i done it as part of my apprenticeship, so should i just phone up GS and tell them that I have it? i need to pay for a new card anyway

i dont have an unvented cert i done it as part of my apprenticeship, so should i just phone up GS and tell them that I have it? i need to pay for a new card anyway

when did you do it? when i done my early 2000's we were told it was a one off (same as water regs) then we got a letter saying it was expipring and we had to do it again, they bloomin training centres and colleges they are only after our money..........eh.........
uh....eh did i say that out loud

Unvented isn't on my card, but is registered with GS, and thus I can register them through their website (handy).

Oh and when I spoke to them about this, about a year ago, they said it would be added to my next card...so I think it can be on your card. Though I just carry my BPEC unvented one. Plus all the other bits, solar, ground source, air source, water regs, and my GS card.

All of which must be updated every 5 years.

Don't know why we worry about it.

Who EVER asks to see your cards? I mean ever!?

Last edited:
just couple a years ago, not heard of any expiring dates to be honest i just have "unvented hot water installer" on my jib card but the card itself expires in 2014, think thats just my CSCS though

No, a good few years ago we were told that you only had to sit unvented exam once....that has now changed, and like many other qualifications, it must be renewed every five years.

This is what I was told by the college when I renewed mine in 2009.

On my card it says 'expires 2014'.

I'm pretty sure about this (for once).

No, a good few years ago we were told that you only had to sit unvented exam once....that has now changed, and like many other qualifications, it must be renewed every five years.

This is what I was told by the college when I renewed mine in 2009.

On my card it says 'expires 2014'.

I'm pretty sure about this (for once).

you are 100% correct, apprentices who do gas as part of their aligned plumbing qual need to be careful as the plumbing qual is lifetime the gas runs out after 5yrs like the rest of us, so does unvented, energy efficiency and water regs

so just best to tell GS that you have the qual then and they'll put it on ? people may not look at your card but they may check the website :p

so just best to tell GS that you have the qual then and they'll put it on ? people may not look at your card but they may check the website :p

once you tell them remember to order and pay £10 for a new card, oh and then phone the bank to tell them you need a new security protected card and even the bank dont have the neck to charge you for a card but GS do

£12 for a new card now :) I need to get one anyhow as they gave me a card without my CPA1 CKR1 and HTR1 :p so might aswell ask for unvented aswell before i get the card :p

Yes you would have done it as part of your apprenticeship as especially if your time was out in last few years its a requirement laid out by snipef and snijib so because you done your time in scotland it is built in to the apprenticeship.
Send them photo copys of your grading card and if they need further info then they can call snipef.
I finished my apprenticeship not recently this is why when unvented goes to 5 years you need to sit again and then you will get a certificate from bpec or logic etc.
check your svqs as it will say something on there about it if i remember right.

water regs runs out? I didnt know this one its news to me I hop it doesnt I really hated studying for that one was probably the most boring studying through that big book on all different back flow devices or arrangements for every possible circumstance.
If I got to sit that again I will be gutted most will say it was easy as it was when you studied it but what a boring book to study.

Ive got unvented cyl on my GScard, didnt know that Water byelaws and Energy Efficiency had an expiry date though!.. More money!!!

spoke to gas safe, they told me to scan jib card front and back and send it to them, ive done that now so think they'll update it for me

Ive got unvented cyl on my GScard, didnt know that Water byelaws and Energy Efficiency had an expiry date though!.. More money!!!

more shameless advertising from me, send me a PM and i will sort you out with a discount for water regs and energy efficiency when you need it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Partly insurance but mainly because 'you' are...
Replies
Views
Finally got an update from him. He cant do the...
Replies
Views
It can be hard to get experience...
Replies
Views
Outside of using a gas-safe LPG engineer, do I...
Replies
Views
Back