unvented hot water blow off | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss unvented hot water blow off in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

B

buckley plumb

just re done my unvenvented and 5 years ago was told if discharging into a soil stack then pushfit must be used just been told today it should be solvent weld what is correct . got part g and it does not realy state

Last edited by a moderator:
The important factor is the type of plastic used - it needs to be able to withstand a 'large' quantity of boiling water, in the event of a big discharge.
As mentioned earlier, Polypropylene is the material required. This is used for push-fit pipes, traps, HepVo traps, etc.
Polypropylene can withstand around 120C, where as ABS is rated for around 70C, but can take 95C for several minutes.
Be aware that plastic soil stacks are generally ABS, but the expectation is that the water will have cooled down sufficiently before reaching the SVP!
I always find this a grey area and my preference where possible is always to use copper to discharge externally.

I'm renewing my G3 soon and I will quiz the tutor on this area, but I suspect no one will have a clear definitive answer!

i bet the training center where you go wont know none of them seem to i nearly failed as i argued glufit is no good

Didn't want to start a new thread and found this whilst searching for my answer. Hope you dont mind me asking in here. I have a 10l unvented water heater to fit tomorrow. Just looking for confirmation really as i haven't done this before. Would it be correct to fit copper from the blow off to a tun dish adaptor on a hepvo valve then run 1"1/4 pushfit waste from there back into a 4 inch solvent weld stack? it would be really awkward to do in copper otherwise. Thanks.

Didn't want to start a new thread and found this whilst searching for my answer. Hope you dont mind me asking in here. I have a 10l unvented water heater to fit tomorrow. Just looking for confirmation really as i haven't done this before. Would it be correct to fit copper from the blow off to a tun dish adaptor on a hepvo valve then run 1"1/4 pushfit waste from there back into a 4 inch solvent weld stack? it would be really awkward to do in copper otherwise. Thanks.
First things first have you got your Part G ticket because you should be aware of what is required. I would always install the D1 pipe work in copper. What size is the T&P ?

I was under the impression that under 15l no ticket was required, has this changed or was it never the case? Alas i havent done unvented since my apprenticeship over 8 years ago. The T&P valve is 15mm. The D1 will be in copper.

Cheers Aaron. Reading back in this thread the consensus seemed to be that pushfit was safer at a higher temperature then solvent as you mention and would be the option to use. Would you agree?

Don't think you need G3 if less than 15 litres.

I was under the impression that under 15l no ticket was required, has this changed or was it never the case? Alas i havent done unvented since my apprenticeship over 8 years ago. The T&P valve is 15mm. The D1 will be in copper.

All hot water systems of any size or shape require Part G ticket since it was updated in the 2010. It changed so the 15L demarcation went but you do not have to notify them to B.C. so long as they have all the manufacturers safety devices installed. Have a look (it's free) http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_G_2010_V2.pdf

Why not do your Part G ratrace ? what you asked sounds alright so long as the lengths of D1 & 2 are correct & you have the min 300mm between tun dish & first bend which in these small ones can be a problem.

If you bothered to re read it instead of jumping on your high horse i wasn't disagreeing with it being 'push fit only'. I was merely re making that point with another forum member.

Fair do's i take it back. And thanks for your input. To answer your earlier question i will be sure to do the course when the opportunity to use it arises. Don't have hardly any call for it and can do without course fees that don't bring anything in.

Re: unvented ho****er blow off

lets be honest not much has changed with the water heaters and what has could be dealt with via a tech update its more about the training industry and the legislaters being either one and the same or working very closely

Re: unvented ho****er blow off

lets be honest not much has changed with the water heaters and what has could be dealt with via a tech update its more about the training industry and the legislaters being either one and the same or working very closely
Well clearly not Steve, buy the number of posts on here & the fact it was all over the trade press at the time, so think we can safely say some form of training is required whether we need a 5 year turn around I would agree is a bit much but something, there where a lot of changes (after 2 people killed after accidents).

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As Shaun said cold backfeeding through mixer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would suggest getting a G3 plumber in to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot...
Replies
Views
Back