Using a USA trap on a UK sink | USA Plumbers Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Using a USA trap on a UK sink in the USA Plumbers Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

Sandtree

Hi all

I am trying to fit out a room for doing some pottery and struggling a little on the sink trap to ensure that we aren't putting clay down the waste pipe.

There is a popular solution in the USA which can be found Gleco Trap (gt43) but naturally comes with a USA standard of connectors/piping which I understand from desktop research is different to the UK. To buy from the US and ship it here & paying taxes is going to be about £100 whereas to buy from their single UK distributor remodified for the UK plumbing is over £200 :annoyed:

Is there an easier/cheaper solution to attaching this thing to UK plumbing? I see in Australia you can get convertors between the two standards but couldnt spot anything here. Alternatively does anyone else know of a similar cheap but not homemade solution for trapping notable amounts of clay/plaster from a sink?

Many thanks

I fully accept there are robust self build solutions for under £30 and if it was for me then I would take the advice and do it but its not for me. She who must be obeyed gets stressed enough that in the UK there is more than one type of white sugar and flour when she wants to bake a cake let alone dealing with multiple pipes and containers to detach when emptying the sediment collector let alone the risk of overflow etc by it not all being sealed or visible.

A clear plastic bottle where the current level of sediment can easily be seen that simply screws and unscrews is a nice solution. I had hoped that based on this solution someone could tell me how to connect USA 1.5" pipes with nuts at both ends could connect to UK 1.5" piping with a screw thread on one end (sink) and yet to be laid (so flexible) at the other end....

I only have vague awareness to the options of threaded, compression, bonded, rubber interconnects etc

The suggested solution would remain permanently fixed. Only one cap would need to be unscrewed to empty the collected clay.

Try speaking to a company called Clayman supplies, they used to be a Gleco distributor but I believe they now have an alternative range of products designed for the UK market. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion, when I looked the other day the only one I could see they had was a £480 beast of a thing but they now have one almost the same as the Gleco and under £100 :smilewinkgrin:

One problem with buying an American one is if anything goes wrong it becomes much more problematic to get replacement parts. Before buying into any of these think how much clay might go down the drain and will some of it be as fine slip.

The water flow wants to end up slow enough to allow clay to settle out which is why a larger trap can be better and it can be even better having two traps in line. Might also look at some of the grease traps.

One problem with buying an American one is if anything goes wrong it becomes much more problematic to get replacement parts. Before buying into any of these think how much clay might go down the drain and will some of it be as fine slip.

The water flow wants to end up slow enough to allow clay to settle out which is why a larger trap can be better and it can be even better having two traps in line. Might also look at some of the grease traps.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I would tend to agree with snowhead the...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the chuckle. Trying really hard so...
Replies
Views
Back