Using paste on compression joints | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter jase158
  • Start date
  • Replies 81
  • Views 31K

Discuss Using paste on compression joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone remember boss green(with PTFE built in), i hated the stuff.
oh the glory days of hemp and boss white on 4" dry risers, i feel suicidal!!!!!!!!!!

They still sell it. God knows who buys it.

I had a tub for years. My brother bought it, and I nicked it from him. Used it once, and wished I hadn't bothered.

He got me back last week. Nicked my new tub of flux. What a git. £13 a tub.

Too much friction and the joint does not bed in well , slight smear on threads from handling things = No Squeal ( But that could be saying Too tight ! )

I don't understand what you mean by the joint not bedding in well. Please explain.

If we are just talking about the olive sliding up into the tapered flange , if it has machined marks
, this goo helps it slide !

I think we're all over thinking it!! 6 pages on whether to put compound on compression joints!!

Put a smear around where the olive meets the taper. If its gas work or you are really concerned a stray lump of compound could blocks a strainer etc, then tighten the compression fitting, then undo it. Then smear the compound around the the olive (only on the edge that meets the tapered part of the compression. That way, there is zero chance of some of it flying down the pipe.

Use it, don't use it. Its personal preference.

oh dear , is his birthday coming up?? straight swap and a card

Our birthdays are one day apart, mine on the 17th of July and his on the 18th. I'm two years older though.

He always buys good presents for birthdays, just so I feel crap when I get him nothing!! :)

I use a slight smear of jet blue on all my compression joints. Not on the threads though!

I used to tighten fittings, slacken them off and put PTFE round the olive. Since only using good quality Kuterlite fittings, I don't use anything and if a fitting gets a sweat, a wee jag up always seals it. You get what you pay for.

Don't you just hate how your good Bahcos get stuck on the those imported cheap brass compression nuts! I hate the ones with the rounded corners. Kuterlite is well made and easy to tighten and rarely leaks.

I'm sat here tonight with most of the skin from the knuckles on my right hand missing because I spent half an hour trying to remove two taps from a restaurant sink that had half a tonne of PTFE tape wrapped around the threads! Nothing on the olives, just the threads!

Why?

WHY!?

What should have been little more than a ten minute job turned into a nightmare thanks to some idiot jamming the nut solid with all his tape. In the end I had no choice but to get the saw out. :mad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
What's to lubricate? Friction is important on a joint.

If you have used paste on the olives of certain valves & fittings, especially the cheap ones, then you will know the force needed to compress them properly will be dramatically less than if the joint had no paste. Lack of squeal is also great. - come to think of it, lack of squealing from an angry customer when a fitting that wasn't pasted, leaks! :grin:
I believe some of the manufacturers, I think conex, stated that a dot of oil on treads may be of benefit to reduce friction & aid tightening of fitting!

If you have used paste on the olives of certain valves & fittings, especially the cheap ones, then you will know the force needed to compress them properly will be dramatically less than if the joint had no paste. Lack of squeal is also great. - come to think of it, lack of squealing from an angry customer when a fitting that wasn't pasted, leaks! :grin:
I believe some of the manufacturers, I think conex, stated that a dot of oil on treads may be of benefit to reduce friction & aid tightening of fitting!

That explains it. I don't use cheap fittings. If I have to in the future though I'll keep this tip in mind.

Ta

i allways use a bit of paste it does take a little longer but gives me peace of mind never get a weep doing it that way

i alway use fernox hawk white on all compression joints, just a smear! always gives me peace of mind as well , anybody used fernox LS-X ????

i alway use fernox hawk white on all compression joints, just a smear! always gives me peace of mind as well , anybody used fernox LS-X ????

Fernox Hawk White & "Boss White" is not for potable water unfortunately. Jet blue is a good non hardening paste suitable for all water & gas.
LS-X is very like ordinary silicone.

why has someone restarted this old one again!!!!!!!!!!! if i can use copper pipe and olives on a diesel engine fuel system working at 100s plus psi without any ptfe or paste why on earth would i need to use paste/ptfe on a water sytem, do it up carefully plus 1/4 turn is all you need and it will undo easily as well and wont leak.

why has someone restarted this old one again!!!!!!!!!!! if i can use copper pipe and olives on a diesel engine fuel system working at 100s plus psi without any ptfe or paste why on earth would i need to use paste/ptfe on a water sytem, do it up carefully plus 1/4 turn is all you need and it will undo easily as well and wont leak.

But a lot of brass fittings on plumbing do leak if not pasted, even tightened just right. Depends on the materials & pipe.

Never had a leak on compression when ive used jet blue

Had many of weeps on compressions when ive haven't used paste.

Theres my conclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Whilst I agree about finding tape where it...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
JetBlue v2 for me
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK thanks for the response. I hadn't...
Replies
Views
Back