Vacant house drain down | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vacant house drain down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Friends

I've been asked to drain down a vacant 3 bed detached house.

Firstly, I was going to turn off stopcock & run taps. Then look for a drain valve in the airing cupboard & open the valve to drain tank.

Then I was going to drain from lowest Rad.

Is this all I need to do? Never done this on all systems before?

Lastly, in Slough area, any thoughts on cost? £100?

Cheers all.

Rct

You wanting to drain water supply too? If it's only heating side you wouldn't need to isolate stopcock, make sure boiler is turned off and drain from lowest point, when it comes to re filling make sure you add inhibitor as for price I wouldn't know I'm a northerner and work for pork scratchings :)

i would just turn stop tap off (in kitchen or whereever), drain all hot and cold and drain heating from lowest point - £100 aint bad just to drain down in my opinion (remember if there is a 3-port put in the open position before you drain)

Ok we do this alot as we have holiday lets in Cornwall
1 Yes turn off mains water
2 yes open all taps h & c AND LEAVE OPEN
3 C/h drain whole system from lowest point leave air bleeds open
4 Find the mt on boiler esp if a floor standing and drain
5 Cylinder -often forgotten use mt on the bottom to drain down
with a hose pipe
Bluntly its better to sell your customer a Froststat hook it into the centralheating
controls set it at 3 deg + and leave the the house on CHK

Hi Friends

I've been asked to drain down a vacant 3 bed detached house.

Firstly, I was going to turn off stopcock & run taps. Then look for a drain valve in the airing cupboard & open the valve to drain tank.

Then I was going to drain from lowest Rad.

Is this all I need to do? Never done this on all systems before?

Lastly, in Slough area, any thoughts on cost? £100?

Cheers all.

Rct

You got it. Open all the bleed valves on the rads too, starting from the top. Hope every rad drop has a drain off. When you are done, close all the bleed valves, taps and drain offs you’ve opend. You just don’t need any hassle if someone opens the stopcock…
100 quid sounds good, unless you are planning to spend the whole day there.

Once water is off and drained, flush the toilets to empty the cisterns.

All of the above, but also explain in writing that you cannot guarantee that every last drop of water is drained as you dont know if pipe runs are sagging under floor boards and still holding water, therefore could (theoretically) still freeze and split pipes
£100 to drain
£200 to fill back up and service/recommision boiler

That seams a lot of work for £100 Unless you got 2 hoses. The cylinder could be a pain and take 1.5 hours.

Remember to label everything as drained and stick some do not use tape over everything.
Some idiot might come along and try to turn the heating on.

Easy money less than an hour.

Remember to label everything as drained and stick some do not use tape over everything.
Some idiot might come along and try to turn the heating on.

Easy money less than an hour.

beggar turning on the boiler its dumping down the bogs I hate!

Switch off all electric switches to boilers & heating etc plus immersion heaters. Then remove fuses from their spur switches. Label the electrics as off.
Houses that I see that have been repossessed have labels on back boiler fires (solid fuel), oil boilers etc & copper & unvented cylinders, saying "Warning - drained off water, do not use"
I would also turn stopcock off at street, personally. House in severe weather turns into a freezer & anything will burst.

I did it today, hwsc took about 45 mins.

Old ch system with no drain tees do I put a bit of copped in the hose & cracked the valve nut & swapped it for my hose. All ok, opened vents etc.

I was quite proud of myself, no floods!!

Use my new spanner!

Charged £125. Pleased with that.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
Yes I would think that H is the vent and cold...
Replies
Views
Back