Vibrating noise in pipework | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Vibrating noise in pipework in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

R

R.Oak

Hey guys, fault finding is not my strong side and im a little bit stumped by this. My customer has a vibrating noise every hour or so throughout the day and night. She asked me to change the float valve on her roof tank as her plumber friend told her that was the case. (He is in france so he coudlnt do it). After looking at the float valve I quickly decided nothing was at fault here and told her it isnt the problem. She asked me to change it anyway so I did. The noise is still happening.

The thing that is confusing me is that it happens through the night, when there is no demand in the plumbing. The heating is off, hot and cold taps are not running yet the noise persists. I havnt been back yet to look at it in detail but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what to look for. Thanks guys

The customer has a system boiler, a hot water cylinder and the systems are fed by roof tanks if that helps?

Its strange that it seems to be happening when nothing is in use. Im wondering if it could be the pressure relief valve on the boiler going off periodically or something like that. Not sure if im allowed to look into that though as im not GSR :( anyone know the legality behind that side of things?

Its strange that it seems to be happening when nothing is in use. Im wondering if it could be the pressure relief valve on the boiler going off periodically or something like that. Not sure if im allowed to look into that though as im not GSR :( anyone know the legality behind that side of things?
you have really answered your own question there, but you used the term tanks in the plural, no pressure relief then!

Do the toilet/toilets have internal or external overflows? Could be passing slightly if a drop valve and then letting in a small quantity of cold water. Had one the same a couple of months back.

you have really answered your own question there, but you used the term tanks in the plural, no pressure relief then!

Ah ok, its always been a bit of a gray area for me, the company I used to work for would have said I can service that side of the boiler as it isnt to do with gas, but I always felt like i shouldnt touch it.

Ah yes of course, there would be no pressure relief as its vented! lool

Ill check the toilets when i go, hopefully its that. thanks

Yes the toilet is the only thing I can think of without seeing it but strange circumstance. Had a few where toilet flushes and they have a terrible banging noise and changing the filling valve has solved it so for the cost might as well give it a go

Yes the toilet is the only thing I can think of without seeing it but strange circumstance. Had a few where toilet flushes and they have a terrible banging noise and changing the filling valve has solved it so for the cost might as well give it a go

Thanks mate. Ill check to see if its overflowing. Cant be from flushing as it happens at 5.30am every morning when they're all in bed.

Hey guys, fault finding is not my strong side and im a little bit stumped by this. My customer has a vibrating noise every hour or so throughout the day and night. She asked me to change the float valve on her roof tank as her plumber friend told her that was the case. (He is in france so he coudlnt do it). After looking at the float valve I quickly decided nothing was at fault here and told her it isnt the problem. She asked me to change it anyway so I did. The noise is still happening.

The thing that is confusing me is that it happens through the night, when there is no demand in the plumbing. The heating is off, hot and cold taps are not running yet the noise persists. I havnt been back yet to look at it in detail but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what to look for. Thanks guys

The customer has a system boiler, a hot water cylinder and the systems are fed by roof tanks if that helps?

Either wcs like simon said or theres a leak in heating pipes under floor and each time F & E tank tops up it vibrates as diaphram gone,, youl find that it will be a rubber worn diaphram in either any tank or cistern,

Could it poss be vibratin from neighbours as had that b4??

Hmm good thinking, what we think could be happening with wc could potentially be happening next door. The noise is pretty lethal so maybe a chance

Its a fully detached house. unfortunately I didnt get a chance to have a proper look at the system. She was adament it was a faulty float valve from what her plumber friend said. I said that I am happy to change it if thats what she really wants. I changed it and advised that it will probably still happen and im happy to come back and take a proper look if it does. Not only do I want to go back and fix it from a business point of view, im genuinely very curious to find out what it is! thanks for the advice gentlemen, I will update this thread with answer, hopefully! :)

Some buildings used to share a water main , each one had own shut off but just the way they did it sometimes and i know when that diaphrams go the whole house sounds like its on a nasa launch pad sometimes so im not sayin it is but slim chance mate,

Some buildings used to share a water main , each one had own shut off but just the way they did it sometimes and i know when that diaphrams go the whole house sounds like its on a nasa launch pad sometimes so im not sayin it is but slim chance mate,

Its a fully detached house. unfortunately I didnt get a chance to have a proper look at the system. She was adament it was a faulty float valve from what her plumber friend said. I said that I am happy to change it if thats what she really wants. I changed it and advised that it will probably still happen and im happy to come back and take a proper look if it does. Not only do I want to go back and fix it from a business point of view, im genuinely very curious to find out what it is! thanks for the advice gentlemen, I will update this thread with answer, hopefully! :)

Roak what was it you did to check the valve???? best thing is basically run the hot water tap and that will tell u, same with toilets flush them and see, did u check the other tank in loft?

Roak what was it you did to check the valve???? best thing is basically run the hot water tap and that will tell u, same with toilets flush them and see, did u check the other tank in loft?

There are actually four tanks in the loft. Two large CWSC connected together, and two small separate F&E's. So three float valves in total. I did a visual check, and then pushed each one down several times. Each valve moved easily, opened and closed how they should and looked and felt just fine. The pipework, although plastic, is clipped adequately and seems fine too. I'm 99% sure the issue isnt there. The float valve i changed was on the large CWSC.

Why don't you get the customer to turn off the mains when going to bed at night. If the noise stops then ye know its one of the float valves. If it doesn't then at least you've ruled it out.

There are actually four tanks in the loft. Two large CWSC connected together, and two small separate F&E's. So three float valves in total. I did a visual check, and then pushed each one down several times. Each valve moved easily, opened and closed how they should and looked and felt just fine. The pipework, although plastic, is clipped adequately and seems fine too. I'm 99% sure the issue isnt there. The float valve i changed was on the large CWSC.

Pushing the float valves up & down will often show nothing. It tends to happen when the valve is almost tuning off, by itself, gently & also at times when pressure in the mains is at its highest.
Check all the toilet bowls don't have a little stream inside them of water because of the flush valve washer or fill valve letting past.

Was thinking, - when you changed the float valve in cwt, did you use a part 2 valve (type that has a diaphragm washer & water exits from a plastic bend at top).
The part 2 valves tend to not vibrate like the ordinary older type did, but not immune to it.
I use Fluidmaster brass tail Pro valves on mains fed toilets to avoid noise problems & am considering using them on cwts.
Wonder did you rule out motorised valve heads on the heating? They can turn on & off & make a racket.

Was thinking, - when you changed the float valve in cwt, did you use a part 2 valve (type that has a diaphragm washer & water exits from a plastic bend at top).
The part 2 valves tend to not vibrate like the ordinary older type did, but not immune to it.
I use Fluidmaster brass tail Pro valves on mains fed toilets to avoid noise problems & am considering using them on cwts.
Wonder did you rule out motorised valve heads on the heating? They can turn on & off & make a racket.

Yeah it was a part two valve. Yet the noise is happening even when the tank isn't filling, unless as others have said there is a leak or something overflowing. I haven't looked at anything in the property yet but I know the noise is happening when the heating is off. She hasn't used heating for a while

Yeah it was a part two valve. Yet the noise is happening even when the tank isn't filling, unless as others have said there is a leak or something overflowing. I haven't looked at anything in the property yet but I know the noise is happening when the heating is off. She hasn't used heating for a while

If I were you, I would take a look at the toilets also.
Re the heating, - you may already know this, but the motorised valve heads are often wired that, even with the heating turned off at the programmer, a faulty mv can link power through to the boiler using the switch wires inside it & I have seen the occasional mv making buzzing noises erratically.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Too much flow through the return needs a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
Back