Wanted: Some cheap bits of PVC overflow pipe, for a DIY project! I'll buy your scrap! | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Wanted: Some cheap bits of PVC overflow pipe, for a DIY project! I'll buy your scrap! in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

P

pargeterw

Evening all,

So I'm not a plumber, but I'm trying to get my hands on some PVC overflow piping to put together into a DIY homemade Steadicam that I'm building. So far, I've found that I either can't buy things in very small amounts, or it costs an awful lot to do so. The sort of stuff I'm after may well be lying around as scrap in the garage of an actual plumber, so I thought it worth checking here before buying much more stuff than I need!

Have a look at 3:34 in this Video: youtu.be/mxlvULNwlpU?t=3m34s to see all the bits I'm after. There's a 'shopping list' in the description below as well :) (Obviously UK 21.5mm diameter instead of 1/2in would be fine, but it can't be too big or it won't fit inside the groove on the bottom of the macro-slider being used as a baseplate)

Most of it I think I'm able to find online, but I'm struggling specifically with the caps and bungs (I can only seem to find them in larger diameters), so even if you don't have everything, please reply with what you have!

I'm not sure how the sales process works here, so let me know about that, but obviously I'll cover all postage costs, as well as whatever you think the list is worth!

Thanks for taking the time to read that ramble!

Will

Re: Wanted: Some cheap bits of PVC overflow pipe, for a DIY project! I'll buy your sc

the advice was given in your previous post to use overflow pipe.
rather than looking online, best to go to your local plumbers merchant tell them what you are trying to do and see what fittings/pipe/suggestions they have. you will only need to buy single items.
3m overflow is only about £2!

Re: Wanted: Some cheap bits of PVC overflow pipe, for a DIY project! I'll buy your sc

the advice was given in your previous post to use overflow pipe.

I know! That's why I came here asking for that :)

The main problem is that I'm a student, who lives in central Oxford, without a car, and it's well over an hour's walk each way to my local plumbers merchant!! On top of this, I still can't find the bungs/caps :(

Again, I'm not that worried about buying more than I need (3m is almost 4 times too much) but just thought it'd be an easy way for someone on the forums to make some easy cash (If you bought the components in bulk because you actually use them, you can sell individual ones to me for a cheeky profit) and that'd be more convenient for me than walking 13 miles, so everybody wins!?

You can probably purchase it from Toolstation, or failing that Screwfix very cheap.

Try toolstation.com first, as their delivery costs are free, and it'll turn up at your door.

It's dirt cheap! Good luck with it.

hi there,
i hope you are not studying cinematography at oxford? my daughter turned that uni down and went to leeds where they teach you how to do such stuff and not just the theory!.lol

seriously though, when you see a british gas van parked out a house, collar the technician and cadge some off him. he or another one will certainly give you what you need. just treat him to a drink.

My investigative skills are suggesting that in the US, (where you can get what I'm after easily:[DLMURL="http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-1-2-in-PVC-Plug-449-005HC/100175956#.UW8VfSvwJVk"]Mueller Streamline 1/2 in. PVC Plug-449-005HC at The Home Depot[/DLMURL] ) 'actual plumbing' pipes have simple elbows, and go down to "1/2 inch" (which is actually 21.3mm OD), but here in the UK, to get that size and style of parts, you have to go into overflow pipes, and, well, nobody wants to blank off an overflow!

Can you get caps for 22mm pipe, and then I'll use ptfe tape to make it all snug?

@REDSAW - I'm actually studying Engineering, If I were doing Cinematography, I might be able to find a friend with a Steadicam already! I might try out the van-man method ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

It would look rubbish though mate.

Why not make it out of copper tube??

I agree that copper would look nicer, but in this case, probably wouldn't work as well... The whole system will be more stable and simpler to operate if it can be a close an approximation as possible to three point masses, with weightless pipes joining them together. Copper would simply weigh too much!

Also, I don't have hefty enough drills to be drilling through brass end caps!

Fair enough.

I think what I would do in your situation is fill any open ends with two part filler (like you use on car body work, or wood filling) it's about £6 a tub.

Then you can sand that down, and have a nice filled flat end. Then lightly abrade the whole thing to key it up, and use spray undercoat, followed by a few coats of black paint (also spray, possibly a black enamel if you can find it).

Then it will look finished and still be light. Won't cost much.

I've been considering making my own bungs by getting a short bit of pipe, and half-filling it with that sort of stuff, or araldite maybe? It does need some bungs to screw the counterweights onto (see here http://bit.ly/11h5C7X ) and it really needs some bungs to attach the whole thing to underside of the slider (see this image: http://bit.ly/10hIcUF ) but then a powdercoat? I think it'll have earned it if it ever gets built ;)

I see!!!

Yes, you could araldite in some threaded bar so you could screw the counter weights onto them.

Looks like an enjoyable little project.

Please keep us updated, would like to see how it comes out.

You will probably see some short bits sticking out of a skip before too long.

You can use Airfix model adhesive to stick the pipe and fittings together as it's the same stuff as the solvent weld adhesive.

why not use 22mm speedfit?

you can use the end caps drill through and run a bolt out.

plenty of waste on a heating job or one of system3's bathroom fits.lol

UPDATE:

Yes, I have transferred to 22mm, rather than overflow, and I've also managed to find somewhere that stocks plain bits, and end caps to boot! (although £9.99 delivery charge was a bit steep :veryangry2: )

PVC Plain Metric Pipe Fittings | PVCu Pipework & Fittings | Pipestock

The only problem is that the end caps have rounded tops, which makes screwing them down into a 100% fixed position onto a flat plate (has to be fixed for fine balancing) a bit tricky - I'm going to try sanding the top off the caps, to give it a flat face, then putting in a big washer on the inside. If that doesn't work, then it's back to the home-made bung idea above!

Will

imo your looking at the wrong gear.

you need jg speedfit 'straight length' piece 22mm.
some elbows and t's an insert and a brass blanking cap with a hole drilled in for the base.

10 minute job sorted. try toolstation for the pics

what?
dont they do proper engineering at the uni then?
give the brass cap to the security guard and ask him to sort it with maintenance.
you have to be forward with things and you get yes or no.

Ah yes, they do do 'proper engineering', and have all the tools and machines, but as a lowly first year there's unnecessarily strict rules on using them for anything other than supervised project work :( You get more freedom in your 3rd and 4th year, so I'm told...

I may have solved it though! I have found these plasson plug - Google Search for 20mm Conduit (usually used for feeding wiring around the place), and It's this (combined with the 20mm elbows etc. sold by pipestock that I linked above) that I'll be using, at least in my first attempt! Now waiting for my 3m long parcel to arrive at the college gate - let's see how that goes :p

they look to do a really neat job, bloody expensive though.

knock up 2 or 3 then sell them on to other student to cover your costs.;)

Similar plumbing topics

P
Overflow pipe and fittings are 20mm. You can...
Replies
Views
Guest123
G
Back