Was I right to Turn off this boiler? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Was I right to Turn off this boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
its id in both cases the obvious reasons in RS in the case of OF it could technically let more air in for combustion than designed by the manufacture,excess air = wrong flame picture

I'm led to believe from my ex trainer, that if its pulling ok, it's AR. Either way, they get a ticket an no gas to boiler.

ID no question.

I always will err on the side of caution because I would take a carpeting every day of the week for being over cautious rather than end up before 12 of my peers!

Having said that, it is gut wrenching the first time you do ID an installation / appliance. I had a college campus up in Strabane that had LPG joining 50 year old town gas pipework in a basement boiler house then running up a riser to the top floor restaurant. There were too many items borderline AR and borderline ID as well as the obvious (1st stage LPG in a boilerhouse with no detection, no isolation solenoids, no interlocks to the heating panel, no fire protection or gas tight seals between floors up the riser - gridwork only! Pipework supported in the boilerhouse by blue nylon rope etc). I knew that for some of the kids this was the only place they got a hot meal. Even so - ID.

I felt terrible all day.

suppose i am lucky i have no hesitation id ing a appliance if its dangerous/dodgy its off,dont think twice,better cold than dead cold

Couldn't agree more there GM. I don't get a tinge of guilt these days either.

Last one I turned off, the old lady was fine about it, her son on the other hand was calling me all the names under the sun. He asked if I was proud of turning an old ladys heat and hot water off, to which I replied, atleast she would still be breathing in the morning. It turns out he didn't even live in the house but he was quite prepared to let his mother put up with an open flued mexico spilling, setting off the CO alarm (but it isn't really an alarm because the red led was not flashing ?!?.. ).The convincer was when I carried out a Flue flow test to get my point across and filled the hall with smoke, he kind of shut up after that.

Thank you CMairiD

I found out today that the Strabane job I ID'd was originally worked on by the very same guy responsible for the Castlerock deaths last year. Incidently, he and another fitter are currently on bail after having been arrested for questioning.

I couldn't help thinking of this thread and having a wry smile to myself as I thought "Bloody glad I did shut it down now!"

I'll keep you all informed of the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
I’m guessing the installer didn’t have a...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back