Water cylinder | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water cylinder in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

ma701ss

Planning to install an unvented water cylinder to supply 5 showers in a club. Potentially up to 25 people using the showers after matches, in turn obviously. 5 electric showers was my first thought because there's no chance of the water running out but presumably more expensive to run and the incoming supply is not enough to the building apparently. Is there a cylinder that could keep up with the demand, and would an electrically heated cylinder recover quicker?

Thanks for the suggestions. Space for the cylinder is tight and budget is also an issue. How about a Megaflo 300 litre with a large coil heat exchanger, or can you get a decent immersion heater that will heat the water quick enough as it's being depleted, between people using the showers?

Also the boiler is a long way from where the cylider would be sited so immersion heater may be a cheaper option in terms of installation?

Thanks for the suggestions. Space for the cylinder is tight and budget is also an issue. How about a Megaflo 300 litre with a large coil heat exchanger, or can you get a decent immersion heater that will heat the water quick enough as it's being depleted, between people using the showers?

Also the boiler is a long way from where the cylider would be sited so immersion heater may be a cheaper option in terms of installation?

Hi there ma701ss i was at my local football ground working today as new sponsor lounges n bars, toilets etc going in and i noticed that they have 2 megaflow tanks i think they were 300l both of them hooked up to a boiler and they use this for after game showers although megaflows are expensive compared to other stainless unvented tanks,

Hi there ma701ss i was at my local football ground working today as new sponsor lounges n bars, toilets etc going in and i noticed that they have 2 megaflow tanks i think they were 300l both of them hooked up to a boiler and they use this for after game showers although megaflows are expensive compared to other stainless unvented tanks,

So one 300 litre cylinder per team, was there just one boiler heating both cylinders?

So one 300 litre cylinder per team, was there just one boiler heating both cylinders?

Yeh and it was a really old natural gas boiler.. but they also have immersions on them but dont know how they use them , i just had quick glance today,,

I mean after matches the teams will just be in and out its not like theyl be ages in the shower so id imagine they only needed the boiler to heat megas and had immersion for back up,,

You could install Percussion taps on shower so only using water when actually under shower head so no wasted water.you could limit the flow at each shower outlet with flow restrictor.you can increase cylinder temperature and install blending valve as said in previous post.you could have a made to measure cylinder with bigger re heat coils,or just install a solar cylinder and pipe both coils up to boiler to help with reheat times (as long as the boiler is of a suitable size)
A combination of all above will give you more showering time

Mega flow is pure tat. May aswell go to poo fix and buy ariston.

As suggested by others fit ACV SL 500 will out perform two 300l megaflows. DO NOT use immersions and this will kill their elec bill. Install will be offset in one year against 1 month of elec.

Run 28 or 35mm primaries to cylinder as for it to recover quickly will need up to 72kw

Also because water stored hotter and blended down at outlet of cyl to 65 you get more water for the space you use with an ACV

Last edited by a moderator:

As suggested by others fit ACV SL 500 will out perform two 300l megaflows. DO NOT use immersions and this will kill their elec bill. Install will be offset in one year against 1 month of elec.

Run 28 or 35mm primaries to cylinder as for it to recover quickly will need up to 72kw

Also because water stored hotter and blended down at outlet of cyl to 65 you get more water for the space you use with an ACV

The position for the cylinder will be about 20m from the boiler. Without running new pipework to it, which is not in the budget, what are the options for heating it?

Where is gas in relation to cylinder? New boiler? Bio mass? Leccky is not the long term solution!! But realistically 60m of 35mm and a decent pump is much cheaper than a new heat unit.

Unless your name is Aladdin they gonna have to grow budget!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the budget isn't big enough for the job! Make sure you fit timed percussion valves fed through a large single shower mixer. Otherwise you will need massive water storage through normal mixers.

5 minute shower used by two teams, subs, officials, so maybe 25 people.

12 litre a min each x 5 = 60 llitre multiply by 25 = 1500litre!!
your 300 litre megaflo would last 1 minute! Would last a bit more as it would be being heated.

theres a few ways to do this, but it will cost! Otherwise you need to explain the pitfalls. If it runs out of hot water too fast you would be getting olds of hassle for trying to save them money.

a normal 5min shower uses 35litres water according to the water companies ie 7litres per min, less hw if its blended of course so best you could hope fore is around 4 litres of hw per min, ie 300/ (4x5min) = 15 showers best hope 300/(4x3min)= 25 so that will never happen in real life, back to the accountants as advised

a normal 5min shower uses 35litres water according to the water companies ie 7litres per min, less hw if its blended of course so best you could hope fore is around 4 litres of hw per min, ie 300/ (4x5min) = 15 showers best hope 300/(4x3min)= 25 so that will never happen in real life, back to the accountants as advised

Thanks, the last few responses have been useful. This above has helped me to get a better idea of output.

Haven't been able to find a price for an ACV SL500, they don't seem to make that model? Even a 420 I can't find a price for to get an indication of cost.

You are not going to heat them quick enough on Immersions, would need a lot of kW from the boiler. Andrews water heater maybe? They have a sizing tool on there website.

I just used their sizing tool and it recommended a Fastflo LWH42. How does this differ to a standard combi and is there any difference in the installation? Can it be used to provide central heating also?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello all I'm replacing 2 unvented cylinder a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
The basin & bathtaps will be pretty old to be...
Replies
Views
Back