Water Leak between meter and house? | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water Leak between meter and house? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi All

I have had a problem with a leaking toilet (and consequently a horrendous water bill!) but that is now fixed. But still the water meter turns - very slowly - the last of 4 red digits increments once per minute. So I presume that is 1/1000 m3 per minute? (or 1.4m3 per day!) That is still a lot of water!

Even when I shut off the main inlet to the house, the water meter still turns at about that same rate

If I turn off the supply (next to the water meter) the digits stop turning.

So I presume this means a leak between the water meter and my main inlet. But there is no unusual sign of dampness anywhere around. (Water meter is outside the front of the house in some trees and the main inlet is round the back, a distance of about 40 feet.

How do I set about resolving this problem?

Thanks for any ideas?

Happy to replace but with what?
I'd prefer not to have to take all the bits out if I can get away with it

Logo: "Halfway up the white bit" under the lowest of the two slots is a logo. It has the letters ABS under a triangle with little arrows in the middle of each side

I just meant any make flush valve and fill valve would be fine, but on a close-coupled toilet like yours, you'd need to take the entire cistern off so may be a plumber job.

If you're wanting to just replace the rubber outlet seal underneath, then I don't mind checking the dimensions of that seal against those on a 'Kayla' valve for you? Thickness, outside diameter, and inside diameter of the washer please.

I think ABS is just telling you the type of plastic so it can be recycled.

The Kayla seal is same ID, but edges only about 2.5mm thick (edges thicker than middle), and OD is greater. Pity about thickness, else you could have cut one down.

I do have a similar seal in reasonable condition 3mm thick all over, same ID but bigger OD. Again, could probably be cut down. I salvaged it out of a broken flush valve, but it's yours to try if you want to post me a S.A.E. ? PM me ('start a conversation') if so.

So have you worked out if this is definitely down to the flush valve yet or are you not sure until you rule this out?

I just wanted to add that i had a job with a similar scenario to what you first say, inside stopcock off and the water meter was still spinning. The meter was in the pavement and the stopcock just inside the house, proabably only 3/4 meters away and that was causing £600 water bills and was completely unnoticable from the front garden, it wasn't soggy at all, it must have made an underground river straight into a drain or something. The water supply company said it wasn't their responsibility, but ended up replacing it for free anyway, maybe they came to some sort of deal with the water bills. They said a tree root had cause the damage, which you mention you have near.

Thanks

Pretty happy it was the flush valve. Check toilets for 'dribbles' in the bowl: no dribbles , water meter does not turn.

Now, if I can just find a way to ensure the button flush does not stay stuck down . . . . . .

Bit frightening the leak story though. Mine only cost about £150

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
Contact them again and hope you don’t get the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
I
  • Question
Not normally as the stop tap is before the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ha easier said than done cutting back to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A groundworker will normally do the whole...
Replies
Views
Back