Water Main in road | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water Main in road in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Customer has a massive water bill, cant remember exactly how much but think its about 7 times the norm.

The water company have been out and they say the leak is her resposability and that they think it is on the incomming main.

The road/drive to her property is tarmac.

My question is, is this right and how would you go about runnning a new main?

I thought first step would be to turn off the mains stopcock and see if the meter is still wiring round. If it isn it must mean there i9sn a leak. So far the water co have replaced the meter and repaired a few other bits

Thanks alot

Close internal stopcock keep Toby open
Does meter move??? If yes leak between bottom of stopcock & Toby

Ps is meter not between Toby & stopcock?? The leak must be after the meter obviously?

Maybe if got wrong end of stick

Ps is meter not between Toby & stopcock?? The leak must be after the meter obviously?

Sounds right to me. Mind even if after Toby they will have to pay but at least it saves them the hassle of finding an internal leak.

Thanks mate. Yeah I get that but how would I go about it if that was the case. If I thought the leak was in the road would I have to dig up the tarmac drive to replace the incomming pipe? were would I start?

never done it, but the times I've seen it done they hired a restricted access mini digger out and did it with that. I suppose it depends how long the drive is. You could hire a breaker to get through the drive and then use a shovel if your feeling very manly I suppose. But that could take days to fins a leak if it's a long drive

Okay I will try and avoid this one if I can. Looks like they will have to dig up the drive. I haven't been there but was asked by an agent.

Just to clarify. If leak is after toby is it still the custmores respopnsabiltity?
What if the leak was after the Toby but outside of the customers drive (i.e on the pavement side of thier boundary)

[FONT=&quot] This is what the water co has done so far:
CONFIRMED INTERNAL LEAK ON SUPPLY WR RAISED FOR P/L/S TO DIG OUT MRK2 A/P BOX AND CHECK OUTLET PRE CONING REQ. NEED TO SPEAK TO LETTING ARGENTS AS LANDLORD LIVES IN FRFANCE,AGENTS ENFIELDS EST AGENTS TERRY 07809110796. PLEASE DIG OUT MRK2 A/P BOX AND CHECK FOR LEAK SEE IAN RANDALL PMO ADO FOOTPATH CANNOT LAMP. Dug out old mk 2 ap box and rang ian randall to let him no there was no leak on outlet he said to backfill and he would contact landlord.Also had to fit a new sleeve as old one damaged [/FONT]

We then came back on the 11/12/2012 to replace the boundary box ( this is what the meter sits in )
[FONT=&quot] CHECK FOR LEAK AT BOX CALL IAN WHEN ON SITE##### fitted new tyco box and existing meter in f/p o/s property, meter still moving called and told inspector, meter index: 03140[/FONT]

Okay I will try and avoid this one if I can. Looks like they will have to dig up the drive. I haven't been there but was asked by an agent.

Just to clarify. If leak is after toby is it still the custmores respopnsabiltity?
What if the leak was after the Toby but outside of the customers drive (i.e on the pavement side of thier boundary)
Other people have suggested moling it in, this is correct. I used to do this for a living, you can pay them buy the half hour, bout £55 per half, a lot less disruptive than cutting the Tarmac, excavation and reinstatement. Just get a reputable ground worker in and they should be able to show you. Hope this helps. Get a plan of suspected services before you begin, leave existing communication/service pipe in place and just leave 25mm mope tails sticking up ready for connection. Good luck :94:

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I figured I should let you guys know in case...
Replies
Views
  • Question
have you had a plumber have a go with the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ha easier said than done cutting back to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
All helpful possibilities cheers, I'm hoping...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
Back