Water main sizing advice please | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water main sizing advice please in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,
I have recently moved to a farmhouse in central Scotland and the other day our closest neighbour accidentally burst our water main with a JCB. The main is a 1” MDPE pipe running about 500m from the water company roadside main to our farmhouse. This was installed about 20 years ago. The farmhouse is perhaps 5-6m lower than the point it connects to the water company main but our house is on two floors so the upper floor is around 3m above ground level. We have a ground source heat pump with unvented cylinder so we can’t use a shower pump and our water tank is downstairs.

My neighbour, who is a builder and architect has decided to take a branch from my pipe while doing the repair, so that he can feed a house that he is refurbishing. His branch is coming from an equal T piece so is also 1”. He says it should not affect my pressure/flow because you can feed 3 houses from a 1” pipe.

So, my question is, should I be concerned about this or am I worrying about nothing? His branch point is around 80m from the roadside mains supply and my house is around another 500m downstream and like I said 5-6m lower than his house.

Obviously I don’t want to fall out with my neighbour having only just met, but it’s going to be much more awkward if every time someone turns on a tap at his house my supply stops!

Advice most welcome!
Thanks,
Craig.

Similar plumbing topics

T
  • Question
Sounds OK so long as the heating system is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a chattering float valve in the loft...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Probably all off one main hence your problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There were two 'classes' of alkathene black...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Definitely worth checking the clipping...
Replies
Views
Back