Water not reaching Boiler and Pump | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water not reaching Boiler and Pump in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nothing

we have a balanced Flue system with Fan Boiler, water isn't reaching the Boiler , Husband has tried some things as it was suggested it was a blockage , but nothing has worked, we dont know the name of this part can somebody tell me thanks. Boiler.jpgthe bit with the question mark on it
Thanks

It's an air separator. What do you mean by water not reaching the boiler? Have you drained the system and are having problems refilling?

notv realy enough info there i suspect the bit with the ?on is an air seperator how did this happen was it after draining ?could be blocked cold feed back fill with a hose ?

notv realy enough info there i suspect the bit with the ?on is an air seperator how did this happen was it after draining ?could be blocked cold feed back fill with a hose ?

hi and thanks for quick response it was like this before draining and still the same after , could that seperator be filled with sludge ? as my husband was thinking of removing and cleaning it, is that a good idea.
Thanks

The most likely place for an obstruction is in and around the tee where the cold feed from the f/e tank meets the pipework after the air seperator. Even more likely if you have a metal f/e tank. The only way I fix these is cut out and replace that section of pipe.

The air sep is prone to being blocked by sludge, it happens all the time round our way, if you know what your doing you can reconfigure the pipework to do away with the air sep, but a clean out should suffice

I'd cut it out and pipe in an h frame. Air seperaters are nothing but trouble in my opinion.

is it just me but i was taught never to put any isolation on the feed .the drawing shows one

No Valves on either & nothing wrong with air separators they do there job by increasing size of pipe which allows velocity to slow & air to escape up the S.O.V.P however a dirt in the system will also fall out & often cause blockages the problem is a dirty system not the installation of one.
P.S. I would still install an 'H' frame though. (& not an h one otherwise the vent of c/f would be missing :)AP)

No Valves on either & nothing wrong with air separators they do there job by increasing size of pipe which allows velocity to slow & air to escape up the S.O.V.P however a dirt in the system will also fall out & often cause blockages the problem is a dirty system not the installation of one.
P.S. I would still install an 'H' frame though. (& not an h one otherwise the vent of c/f would be missing :)AP)

Chris you are far too alert for this time of day! Lol

lock sheild where the cold feed enters the system is good well it would be handy in this case

Why not fit a valve on the CF the vent I understand I have seen hundreds with valves on CF the old boy who taught me always fitted 1.

Why not fit a valve on the CF the vent I understand I have seen hundreds with valves on CF the old boy who taught me always fitted 1.

Thank you all very much am copying the replies so he can read through them ,very much appreciated.

was told if the valve is left shut and there is a problem yes it will pump and boil over on vent but no cold feed to cool boiler .seen lots with a valve but was taught not to fit on either feed or expansion

I agree,same scenario as a blocked cold feed. In the event of an overheat the cold feed replenishes the water that is boiled and keep the system from boiling dry.

Had this happen the other day, blocked cold feed and potentiometer failed on ideal classic. No valve on cold feed, put a stop tap on the cold main to the f&e instead.

Plenty about with gate valves on cold feed, but you've got to allow for the idiots in the world to turn them off, or forget to turn them back on etc

Last edited:
hi and thanks for all your help he has managed to get into the air seperator and it was bunged up , but problem still exists? we cannot wait around for a plumber much longer as its quite cold here , any help appreciated.

hi and thanks for all your help he has managed to get into the air seperator and it was bunged up , but problem still exists? we cannot wait around for a plumber much longer as its quite cold here , any help appreciated.

Have you actually called a plumber/heating engineer? Earlier you wrote that your husband had been trying stuff? Put a post in the Plumber/Engineer Required forum on here, there'll be someone in your area who can help, I'm sure..

hello yes we called the one who installed the new boiler but he said he was busy and would try to get to us by Friday not heard a word back, so we thought he would try after the excellent advice on here , thanks

How long ago was your boiler installed? Has it worked since? It sounds as though you have a blocked cold feed or a massive airlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
I know you must be frustrated, but as gmartine...
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks for the reply, that did cross my...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Back