Waterfall tap: seal between basin and tap leaking | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Waterfall tap: seal between basin and tap leaking in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi!

As part of a refurbishment I had a new basin and single Plaza waterfall tap from Victorian Plumbing.

The seal between the base of the tap and the top of the basin is ineffective and is prone to leakage in certain circumstances.

I've given up trying to get the plumber back to resolve. He's big on promises but bad on delivery.

That being the case I thought I'd sort it out myself but Victorian Plumbing can't supply a copy of fitting instructions. They claim they don't have any!

Before starting I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for.

Grateful for any help, advice and guidance that forum members are willing to give.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Feedback

I bought a set of MONUMENT TOOLS MONOBLOC SPANNER SET as recommended.

Just the job and well made.

It proves once again that having the right tools can make all the difference.

The nuts on the tap were 9mm.

I had a bit of a problem with getting the tommy bar in to turn the box spanner but got round this by using a ring spanner on the other end. A 14mm ring-key worked just fine.
spanners_1.jpg spanner_2.jpg

Sadly the tap washer nuts were corroded on to the studs so they can out in their entirety.
studs.jpg
Not the end of the world.

To get access I needed to remove one tail which was straight forward enough.

Once I had lifted the tap off the sink the cause of the problem was clear.
hole.JPG
The tap needed to be pushed back about 5mm so that the sealing ring was properly located on porcelain of the basin.

I decided to use the grease approach this time to help make the seal. (I figured if this didn’t work I can go back and use silicon.)

So I used Vaseline as the grease.

I clean the O-ring, base of the tap, and top of the basin.
underside.jpg

Drew a line withe pencil to indicate the revised location of the tap. I then applied Vaseline to the O-ring and base of the tap and reassembled everything.

Job done.

Leak cured and thank you to all the forum members who helped me withe their comments and advice.

Back