Weird boiler setup in house | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Weird boiler setup in house in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

No I never said it couldn’t be moved just based on the install you will need the boiler cylinder and booster Still so I would suggest it would be prohibitively expensive unless you are planning other works. Only you know what you can afford though

TBH I would look at sound proofing else your looking at a min of spending around 3k to move all that

Depends what that supplies do you have a bath in the loft ?

TBH I would get rid of the combi and move all the kit downstairs acceptable to you maybe upgrade the cylinder l depending on existing size etc

do we need the combi boiler in the kitchen, or can we just get a water heater for the hot water cylinder?
The boiler will be heating your radiators and hit water. What will provide heat if you get rid of it!

I think you are confusing yourself

Any chance of a pic of said secondary boiler ?

I think there is only one boiler.
The glow worm is a Combi used as a system boiler.

Maybe but doesn't the gloworm have heating temp adjustment? Just hoteater ?

So is it theoretically possible just to move the kit from the loft down to the kitchen next to the combi boiler? (this is moving the stelflow and pump - not sure why we need the hot water cylinder). It just seems an awful lot of gear for a house with two showers. My parents have a larger house with more bathrooms and radiators and i think they just have a megaflow in a utility room somewhere?

So is it theoretically possible just to move the kit from the loft down to the kitchen next to the combi boiler? (this is moving the stelflow and pump - not sure why we need the hot water cylinder). It just seems an awful lot of gear for a house with two showers. My parents have a larger house with more bathrooms and radiators and i think they just have a megaflow in a utility room somewhere?
You would need a big cupboard to put it in.
Your parents might not have poor incoming pressure and flow

In short you have a low incoming water main pressure and flow so it won't be able to do more than one outlet at the same time

I bet they will still have a boiler heating the megaflow. Not cheap doing it on electric

I think you really need to get someone in to explain what you have and how it currently works. We can do it on here but it’s only words and without visual explanation it may not mean a lot

ok thanks guys - i have tried getting various plumbers in to explain the options but so far, the options are: "leave it alone" and "no idea". It just seems odd to have so many different systems in a relatively small building - unless there is something else going on like really low water pressure, but then that doesn't make sense if we're the only house experiencing this (unless there is a skinny lead pipe or something)

@Whn1 close to you ?

I would guess that the previous owner wanted two good showers and that was the only way to achieve the flow and pressure.

There is one system.

Mains water comes into the accumulator to achieve necessary flow and pressure. This then fills the Stelflow cylinder. In turn this is then heated by the Glowworm boiler by means of heat transfer from a coil which runs through the cylinder. As I said you could potentially upgrade your mains which would mean you could do away with the accumulator

Maybe - if there is anyone on here who is close to TW11 and fancies popping round for a peek (we also need a quote for sticking a toilet under some stairs which requires some creative drainage)!

Maybe - if there is anyone on here who is close to TW11 and fancies popping round for a peek (we also need a quote for sticking a toilet under some stairs which requires some creative drainage)!
I think you need to pay so e to carry out a proper survey.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
If this is pumping over or expansion from the...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Back