Weird HW problem | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Weird HW problem in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi guys.

-Small flat with a kitchen and one bathroom.
-Vokera Unica 32 BHE boiler.
Problem: Kitchen tap has low HW pressure and sporadic hot temp
  • It's sporadic so sometimes water comes out piping hot, other times the boiler won't fire
  • Diverter motor and valve checked and ok
  • Bathroom sink tea and bath has HW whenever tap opens.
  • Kitchen tap is one metre from boiler, bathroom is three metres from the boiler.
  • Doesn't seem to matter if CH is firing or not. CH works absolutely fine.
  • adding: Changed kitchen tap, worked fine for 15mins then back to sporadic running cold

I am thinking about changing the Plate Heat Exchanger.
But when it does fire the temp is excellent. Bathroom HW flow and temp are good though.
The bathroom HW does not point to the Plate HE.

So pretty confused here, any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Change the kitchen tap but have a look at the flexis if it has them kinked ?

If you open the bathroom hot sink tap while kitchen hot tap has low flow/temp is the bathroom tap flow/temp ok and does the kitchen tap still have low flow but hot water?.

As suggested, maybe flexi kinked/damaged so swap hot/cold if cold flow was ok.
I'd be unlucky to have had a kink on old tap and new one but it is possible... Will check that...

So maybe not the plate HE? Shower is running hot so if it was the plate HE, I'd have consistently low flow, low temps... Is this right?

If so, then pipework as you guys say... Maybe the ballofix under the kitchen tap? Do they ever go wrong? I've never had one go wrong, anyone else?

I'm wondering about debris ? Like just before the ballofix. Suppose I could whip it off and check.. But the boiler has several filters for the HW...

Last edited:
ok good and makes sense ShaunCorbs ..

Trying to pinpoint and understand the connection between low flow and low temp:

one thing I noticed today after the new tap went on - I was checking HW on, off, swing the mixer H to C and back and it was behaving well for about 15 mins as mentioned above.
Then I as I was watching it the flow rate dropped noticeably. Then it started running cold.

Would low flow rate be low enough not to fire the boiler?
This would explain lack of HW. It runs cold. not warm.

Yes low flow = boiler not making hot water as it’s not sensing demand

Similar plumbing topics

G
Replies
Views
A
TRVs open? Any other valves been touched?
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
If the op has the newer colour display model...
Replies
Views
Back