Wet UFH: low profile vs screeded | Water Underfloor Heating Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Wet UFH: low profile vs screeded in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at Plumbers Forums

What are the disadvantages of low profile wet UFH boards, in comparison to conventional pipe-in-screed systems (those in which there is at least 50 mm of screed)? Would these disadvantages be as relevant in a small bathroom (wet room) application, for which the total floor area is less than 10 m2?

Not much thermal mass and not much insulation below but they warm up faster

I am planning to insulate either way. If using low profile, vacuum insulated panels.

Is a lack of thermal mass relevant if the UFH is only for a small space, that isn't normally in use? I.e. time it to come on for 1 or 2 hours first thing in the morning?

No would only effect it when it’s off eg cools down quicker

Just wondering if there are any other aspects to be aware of if going for low profile vs traditional screed? Must be reasons why it isn't more popular because at the moment, to me it looks like a get out of jail free card for retrofits.

Just wondering if there are any other aspects to be aware of if going for low profile vs traditional screed? Must be reasons why it isn't more popular because at the moment, to me it looks like a get out of jail free card for retrofits.
Exactly......

Smaller diameter pipe and pipe spacings closer.

PITA control in a small area unless you have other areas you can control on the same manifold

Oz-plumber thanks, but I'm not sure if I follow. Excuse my ignorance, aren't you describing just a sizing issue? What do you mean exactly by control, and why would the small bore pipes and small area make it inherently more difficult? I'm not sure I see the need for a room thermostat controlling just the UFH in the bathroom, just have a timer and water temperature set point instead.

Similar plumbing topics

Meant oversized as in 'bigger than needed to...
Replies
Views
Hi John, Thank for a such detailed response...
Replies
Views
Thanks will try this out, appreciate the help
Replies
Views
It redistributes the heat across the whole...
Replies
Views
You do always risk leaks when converting...
Replies
Views
A
Back