what certificate should be issued after installing a new boiler? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss what certificate should be issued after installing a new boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a load of nonsense!

Where did you here that? Someone is pulling your leg.

There is no requirement to issue a certificate for changing boiler component
and least of all a new landlords certificate in rented property.

I was told to issue a maintenance cert after checking reg 26 (9). This is the evidence that the appliance has been left in a safe working condition.

What a load of nonsense!

I agree, there is no requirement to do so and definitely no need to reissue a CP12 for rented properties.

You can record the information on a CP4, stating what you've done etc. But again there's no requirement to do so, just what some companies prefer to do.

What a load of nonsense!

Reg 36(4) and 36(3) ?

Someone is definitely having you on.

If you can get hold of a copy of Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

You should read through 36(4) and 36(3)

36(3) is very long but no mention of new cert when changing parts.

36(4) Is about making sure the operative is registered (gas safe)

I was told to issue a maintenance cert after checking reg 26 (9). This is the evidence that the appliance has been left in a safe working condition.

You could if you wish issue a certificate to show that the Flu, Combustion air Gas Rate etc has
been checked as per regulation but there is no requirement for this.

If your friend owns the property then I don't think the council have to be informed or send you a letter. You say your friend has received a letter from Gas Safe confirming registration? Then your friend isn't due any more paperwork.

Think the building regulations in England and Wales require you to notify the installation of a new heating appliance, via and approved person scheme or the local building control department ( which is normally council)

Someone is definitely having you on.

If you can get hold of a copy of Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

You should read through 36(4) and 36(3)

36(3) is very long but no mention of new cert when changing parts.

36(4) Is about making sure the operative is registered (gas safe)

(4) Every landlord shall ensure that any work in relation to a relevant gas fitting or any check of a gas appliance or flue carried out pursuant to paragraphs (2) or (3) above is carried out by, or by an employee of, a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of regulation 3(3) of these Regulations.

In my mind , Any work..... Includes parts being fitted. pursuant to means treat it the same as ? So if fitting any parts you should treat same as parts 3. part 3 is a requirement to do a safety check? How should you record the safety check?

(c)ensure that a record in respect of any appliance or flue so checked is made and retained for a period of 2 years from the date of that check, which record shall include the following information—

(i)the date on which the appliance or flue was checked;

(ii)the address of the premises at which the appliance or flue is installed;

(iii)the name and address of the landlord of the premises (or, where appropriate, his agent) at which the appliance or flue is installed;

(iv)a description of and the location of each appliance or flue checked;

(v)any defect identified;

(vi)any remedial action taken;

(vii)confirmation that the check undertaken complies with the requirements of paragraph (9) below;

(viii)the name and signature of the individual carrying out the check; and

(ix)the registration number with which that individual, or his employer, is registered with a body approved by the Executive for the purposes of regulation 3(3) of these Regulations.

A CP12?

Sorry , I stand corrected..... Landlord has to ask u for info, your not required to issue unless requested. It's the landlords duty to keep records.

But question was what should you do? I would strive to exceed the minimum legal requirements and as a CP12 isn't that much additional work. I would complete one as good measure. Tennant feels 'safe' landlord got a cert and a new 12 month cert, you have peice of mind that you have checked appliances and detailed defects and thus discharged your duty of care by ensuring beyond reasonable doubt and as far as reasonably practicable that the job was left in a safe and serviceable manner?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK… Hands up who installs a boiler and does not report the installation to the Gas Safe?

This thread follows a similar recent thread where I used the term 'ludicrous' when describing the gas safe registration of new installations. That we can, today, still be having the sort of disparity of comments from guys WHO ARE gas safe registered engineers, talking in such different interpretations about rules which were installed in 2005 further reinforces the statement that the whole gas safe procedure is not fit for purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
seen a few fitters issue a safety cert hand written form and tell the customer that's the gas safe cert as they are doing them on a sat and they don't have their own gas card as they work for a big company in the wk. I spoke to gas safe on this last year and they said its good practice for an engineer to inform them and cert his own work but its the customers responsibility at the end of the day but you must inform them of this - sure there was a thread about this last year - some charge for registering with gas safe and building regs as if the customer had to it would cost £120 plus

I haven't registered some of mine ???

if they aren't paying the full wack, getting the relevant controls etc fitted... I give them a cp12 an put all the details down on that...

Come on! the requirements are very clear. If you install a boiler you have to be GSR and notify GSR of the installation for the customer to get Building regulation certificate for Part L; additionally you cover the safety aspect, by completing the Benchmark log book and safety certificate. That should be part of the reason customers use a GSR engineer. Nice and tidy all avenues covered.

Come on! the requirements are very clear. If you install a boiler you have to be GSR and notify GSR of the installation for the customer to get Building regulation certificate for Part L; additionally you cover the safety aspect, by completing the Benchmark log book and safety certificate. That should be part of the reason customers use a GSR engineer. Nice and tidy all avenues covered.

very well done Reg Man, by doing it AS IT SHOULD BE DONE you are saving your clients a HUGE amount of grief further down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
S
Nothing other than a pain to work on not...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Could be the expansion relief or an overflow...
Replies
Views
Back