What did i do wrong? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What did i do wrong? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

15878267478982688746538566570112.jpg

So, first plumbing job in years, bought solder, flux and MAP gas as shown.
15mm copper pipe, shined up, fluxed, absolute failure!
I'm a sparks by trade and solder a lot but not with a flame.
Am I right to assume map is far to hot for an amateur to work with, I cooked the pipe!
Advice where I'm going wrong please, I cant afford a plumber!
Cheers.
Paul.
[automerge]1587827746[/automerge]
15878267478982688746538566570112.jpg

So, first plumbing job in years, bought solder, flux and MAP gas as shown.
15mm copper pipe, shined up, fluxed, absolute failure!
I'm a sparks by trade and solder a lot but not with a flame.
Am I right to assume map is far to hot for an amateur to work with, I cooked the pipe!
Advice where I'm going wrong please, I cant afford a plumber!
Cheers.
Paul.

As a follow up, these bits are for a shower mixer, can I use JG speedfit for the link to the shower head with the supplied compression fitting or must I use a plastic fitting?
15878276330514437517376217211686.jpg

Last edited:
Too hot, way too hot. Mapps fine, it's all I use but turn your flame down and keep pulling away from work and test with solder. Get yourself some lead free solder as well if you're working on potable water.

That's a super seal insert you've used on the speed fit. Not suitable for compression fittings and wont be covered by warranty if it all goes breasticles up.

Too much heat with the soldering. And the top shower connection
looks like it needs a swivels connector or a female adapter. It hasn't got a machine face for the compression ring.
[automerge]1587831055[/automerge]
Plus that’s leaded solder and mustn’t be used on potable water. You need lead free.
you will have better results with lead free solder too.

Sharp Stanley blade and cut the top side of the oring

Attachments

• 6AF415F3-46B1-47EB-876D-31D8E6B7FB2D.jpeg
    6AF415F3-46B1-47EB-876D-31D8E6B7FB2D.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 77
Found enough plastic fittings and non return shut off valves, not sure how much support these pipes need, would one clip for the head feed and one clip above each shut off valve be about right?

Attachments

• 15878377000135251715169090289359.jpg
    15878377000135251715169090289359.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 87
View attachment 43546Second go with less heat, not good enough but I'll persevere.
Thanks for advice!
Rather than apply the heat to the joint run the flame from say 1inch away accross the whole peice from inch away. Gently build the heat up until the solder just runs freely. Mapp gas gets up to 1600c and needs carefull experienced application. Go get a micky mouse diy propane To compare and start teaching yourself it’s a good skill to have. The opposite is butane in a cold house in mid winter took ages. Centralheatking

I tried as advised with the MAPP torch on the lowest flame it would stay lit with and had much better results, still not getting good solder flow but much better.
I just did a set in 15mm to replace the plastic feeding the shower head as it sticks out to far, not as good as my sparky tube but ok for a first go!

Is it blobbing or sucking into the joint ?

Both!
I think I need to shine the tube further past the fitting and use more flux!

Are you cleaning both the fitting and the tube as for flux just a light coat all the way round the tube is more than enough

Plenty of flux on it and make sure its 100% clean. Plenty of practice as well. 👍👍
I'm gonna get plenty of practice, five bed new build, done 150sq m underfloor heating downstairs now starting on the showers!
[automerge]1587844473[/automerge]
Are you cleaning both the fitting and the tube as for flux just a light coat all the way round the tube is more than enough
Yep, shining them up but maybe I need to shine the pipe more outside the fitting.
I'll get there with help!

It could be you have the flame too small now and all the flux is burning off before your adding the solder try turning the heat up a smidge maybe 1/3 of a turn on the valve

also Your using leaded solder switch to unleaded as you can’t use lead on water pipes these days

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
It's a solder ring fitting. If you use it then...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thought I'd answered that in post 9...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Forget the tap tail adaptors in this case...
Replies
Views
Back