what is it with some sparks and wiring up heating | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss what is it with some sparks and wiring up heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a job call out tomorrow where his electrics trip when he switches on heating/hot water. I had a quick look as i was passing and the situation is... Pump is new and the 3 port is working fine (visually) there was no tripping and it was all working fine? Next day, tripping again? Im a new combi man, not really into this sort of stuff but want to know more. This guy is sound and we get on, dont want to let him down or make myself look like a ****.
Can anyone offer any non abusive or rude advice on further checks etc?
Thanks

I'D surgest you post your own new thread on this matter as this post if from 2011 most people will see that and not even bother looking at your post

I have a job call out tomorrow where his electrics trip when he switches on heating/hot water. I had a quick look as i was passing and the situation is... Pump is new and the 3 port is working fine (visually) there was no tripping and it was all working fine? Next day, tripping again? Im a new combi man, not really into this sort of stuff but want to know more. This guy is sound and we get on, dont want to let him down or make myself look like a ****.
Can anyone offer any non abusive or rude advice on further checks etc?
Thanks

what trips the mcb or the rcd if rcd then power is getting to the earth (around 30mv to trip)

Check the fan first, what boiler is it

Ok mate will do, its a baxi solo old big thing :) probably rotten inside they normailly are.

Was it 50-100 ohms a good fan, can't remember now, usually when they go they stink and melt a bit (especially Worcester bosch combi)

a lot of this thread rings true.. a lot of guys only know combi's and old gits like me have to sort the older systems out electrically and then the sparkies are confused by relays or 3 way valves :)

I have been trying to get to the bottom of exactly what extent or wiring is 'allowed' - even under the competent persons scheme when it comes to plumbers wiring in their own work.. anyone know?

a lot of this thread rings true.. a lot of guys only know combi's and old gits like me have to sort the older systems out electrically and then the sparkies are confused by relays or 3 way valves :)

I have been trying to get to the bottom of exactly what extent or wiring is 'allowed' - even under the competent persons scheme when it comes to plumbers wiring in their own work.. anyone know?

you can only wire to a fused spur/ connection unit unless your part p / 17th ed then you can do what you like

but if in a bathroom you can't do anything unless your part p / 17th ed

Last edited:
Intermittent tripping of RCD difficult to find. In one case straightening out wiring cured the problem, ( It tripped daily, and now hasn't tripped for 10 months). If the obvious can't be found leave it to an electrician who can check the RCD. As well as tripping at 30ma there is lower a currant at which it should not trip.

Intermittent tripping of RCD difficult to find. In one case straightening out wiring cured the problem, ( It tripped daily, and now hasn't tripped for 10 months). If the obvious can't be found leave it to an electrician who can check the RCD. As well as tripping at 30ma there is lower a currant at which it should not trip.

Thanks mate, thats what i think ill do. Cheers for the help and advice to all too

Most older Plumbers I know are fine on wiring and diagnoses of fully wired Y and S plans.
Newer Combi installs are a piece of cake (L,N,E,SL).

I'm with Halesowen on all new installs I do now, its just easier and quicker to quote for a chronotherm wireless.

I must admit to being stumped a couple of times on very old systems that have no 10 way and the timer was used as the junction box.
I understand how the system works but tracking the wiring down can be a pig of a job and sometimes its quicker to just disconnect the lot and rewire to a 10 way (as there are so many different ways of doing it).

I think the main problem is most plumbing courses skip over the electric side (and electrical legislation) as a lot of the big company's have an electrician following around connecting after the install and for a plumber its becoming a dieing art?

These guys seem to be building a heating wiring diagrams and manuals website slowly (I see it's not finished until end of April) so it'll be interesting how many diagrams end up on there..

Look at the heating wiring diagrams on the top menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, can anyone clarify wiring and Honeywell...
Replies
Views
Just happened to be rummaging around on the...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Hello All. Hoping you guys can help me out...
Replies
Views
Back