What is the best pipe slice? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What is the best pipe slice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

what do you use? Just wd-40 or oil?

I find WD-40 is really only for cleaning or displacing water and as a penetrating oil.
More solvent than oil really.
Fine for spraying into the pipe slice to keep it functioning longer.
I personally would recommend 3 in 1 oil to use slight amount on the shafts if you strip the pipe slice down.

The Kopex or Monument (or Rothenberger which is just a rebadged Kopex). They are all pretty much the same. Buy a box of 10 cutting wheels as a blunt wheel is what generally lets you down. Keep them well oiled at all times or they can sometimes spiral

Rothenberger recently have been terrible. I've took two 22mm slicers back due to the spring not lasting a day. I bought 28mm monument last week and there okay. Has anyone tried the blue silverline set on amazon. It comes as set, 15,22 and 28 for £18. I was going to buy as a back up. Anyone got any recommendations for 10 or 8?

As for lubricant, silicone grease is what I find best as they not only keep the cutters lubed, but the silicone helps keep the water out of the components. I use a wee tub of fine grade silicone grease that I got from the USA via Amazon. Use it sparingly, as too much will do more damage than good and all the crap that comes off pipes will stick to the grease.

I heard the Milwaukee electric one was on sale... might not be good for tight spaces but good if you do a lot of cutting
I have one and it's too big and bulky for most retro fit installs. It's good for new installs where there's more space to use it. I've used mine about a dozen times in 2 years. The wee M12 batteries hold their charge for ages.

As for lubricant, silicone grease is what I find best as they not only keep the cutters lubed, but the silicone helps keep the water out of the components. I use a wee tub of fine grade silicone grease that I got from the USA via Amazon. Use it sparingly, as too much will do more damage than good and all the crap that comes off pipes will stick to the grease.
I have sprayed mine with AC90 for years. Seems to do the job.

I have a Tornado branded one which I think is a Toolstation brand. Doesn't seem to be any different to Kopex. The main thing is to remember you replace wheels when blunt and keep them well oiled and occasionally solvent clean them to get rid of dust and debris. Even the best one won't perform well without oil.

I heard the Milwaukee electric one was on sale... might not be good for tight spaces but good if you do a lot of cutting

Wait another few months - they will be giving them away.
I would have to rate the Milwaukee pipe cutter the worst tool I have ever bought.

Come to think of it, I probably didn't pay for it.
It was probably given to me as a package deal with something.

Whatever - pile of junk

Never really thought about this ..got loads ..anyway the ones that I have had for years and use most days say on the side
' Rothenberger' pipe slice is that a help 15 and 22
centralheatking mind you I also use Monument cutter for 28 mm
etc

Kopex,rothenberg and monument last about one year for me. But a couple of years ago I started using Sabre from The Range, every bit as good, solid sturdy and only £6. Sadly I've only ever seen 15mm though but I love them. I can have three or four for they price of one of the above and works and last just as good. Cheap ones are mostly crap but Sabre are deffo a worthy competitor.

Similar plumbing topics

• Friendly
Got one of these and it works really well...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi. Do you mean the Flomasta one I linked to...
Replies
Views
usually cos the wheel is knackered.
Replies
Views
M
Correct. It would use a standard sized nut...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
Back