what is this soil pipe made of? not cast iron and not plastic | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss what is this soil pipe made of? not cast iron and not plastic in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh k cheers, when i start cutting it , how would i know if its pitch fibre? is there anyway i can tell
cheers

looks like pitchfibre to me, by your foto, it was made to go under ground caused a lot of trouble used to flat with the weight on top.

Seen this stuff used on long runs in hospitals etc. It was fitted so it could take really hot water (steam condense) without sagging.
Those links above look like the same stuff

Seen this stuff used on long runs in hospitals etc. It was fitted so it could take really hot water (steam condense) without sagging. Those links above look like the same stuff

I guess OP has the advantage of being on the job and should be able to tell if its metal or not, i honestly thought it was cast as it has the same texture never came across pitch fibre

Yes i agree GQuig. Seen it recently, same texture (ribbed! for her pleasure)

started taking this apart, the pipe was 124mm in diamter, and was about 6mm thick, where the pipe was jointed together, it had a sort of thick rubber type o ring that would go into a socket, after rooting in the stack someone had Bodged a bit of it together useing masking tape! which to my surprise didnt look like it had been leaking, and lower down the soil reduced down to 110 mm exaclty so i managed to get a socket on it, and build up in plastic, why would this stuff of been used ? it looks like awful stuff to work with?

It's not very nice when it blocks up in a ceiling void on a hospital ward
:veryangry2:

pitch fibre or circular nuralite you can actually weld it with pitch it was a cheap alternative that didnt last long

you have to remember before pitch fibre , it was salt glazed earthen ware in 18" sections which took ages to get together, the joints was cemented so you could only do so many in day.It was a bugger to cut, there was no angle grinders, makes me feel very old,thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A 110mm coupling and the adapter...
Replies
Views
If the coupling fits, then no need for what I...
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
https://www.pipekit.co.uk/marley-hdpe-concentri...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Looks like a 35mm Male Iron threaded into that...
Replies
Views
Back