What plumbing qualifications will I need when I entering the USA for work? | USA Plumbers Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What plumbing qualifications will I need when I entering the USA for work? in the USA Plumbers Advice area at Plumbers Forums

L

Liam saxton

Hi, I’m a uk resident with plenty of plumbing and heating qualifications. However I was wondering what kind of qualifications are required for installing and servicing your warm air heaters? Thankyou in advance!

The first requirement is US citizenship or a visa that allows work.

A list of visas is available on britishexpats.com under the heading:
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA​

In summary, qualifications for installing and servicing warm air heaters won't get a visa to work in the USA.

The chances of an ordinary U.K Trades / Craftsperson getting employment in the U.S are as close to ZERO as you could possibly get.

The over-riding rule is, "Can a U.S employer find a U.S Citizen for the job"
In the case of trades or ordinary jobs the answer is yes they can.

There are exceptions if the skills required for the job are very specific and in short supply as in the case of my Son who is living and working there.
He only got a Visa as he was a Manager / Executive in the U.K for a company who also have offices in the U.S so in effect he was transfering.

But it still wasn't easy, his employer had to provide hard evidence that they had tried to find a U.S Citizen to do the job, which they did have as they had been looking for 2 years.
Visas are tied to the employer, loose your job and you have to leave the Country and re apply for a new Visa for a different job.

Visa's have a maximium limited time, 5 to 7 years I believe and unless you apply for a Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) you have to get out the Country when the Visa expires.
You then need to have been a Green Card holder for a certain time before you can apply for Citizenship.

My Son has had a Green Card application in for well over 2 years, being paid for by his employer at a cost including legal fees of around $20000.

It is very difficult to emigrate to the US from the UK I believe. Perhaps President Biden will make some changes.

It is very difficult to emigrate to the US from the UK I believe. Perhaps President Biden will make some changes.
Looks like Trump if he gets in May make it even more difficult. Darn it. I'd love to move there!

Did you ever get any sucess Liam?

As the thread has been revivied.
My Son / Daughter in Law and 3 Grandsons did eventually get Green Cards (they're not Green and they aren't a card!! )
He's changed job twice since he got it, something he couldn't have done whilst on a Visa.

To work as a plumber in the USA, you’ll need to have your UK qualifications reviewed to see if they match US standards. Licensing requirements vary by state, but typically involve stages like apprentice, journeyman, and master plumber, each requiring a mix of experience and exams. If your UK apprenticeship is recognized, you might be able to apply for a journeyman license directly. However, you may still need to familiarize yourself with local plumbing codes and safety standards.

Additionally, you'll need a work visa, usually sponsored by a US employer. Some states might also require you to take continuing education courses, carry specific insurance, or pass a background check. Understanding these steps will help you successfully transition to working as a plumber in the USA.

As the only American plumber responding here..........

Yes, get your working papers first, be that a green card, visa, etc. Then you'll want to contact the licensing authority for the State you're in. Every state is different. Some states don't have license requirements. Some plumbing/heating "licenses" are little more than a paper saying you've paid a fee/tax to that county/town you're working in. I work in several different states. Some states have stricter requirements and will say you need X years of schooling and XXXX hours of on the job experience under a license holder. Other states will look at your UK plumbing/hvac experience and say you're good to go.

If you're not dumb as a sack of rocks and you're a good person, any plumbing/hvac shop of considerable size will be more than willing to help you get your apprenticeship/license/schooling that is needed. Small shops might not be able to help you much, and large commercial shops may treat you as replaceable.

What state are you looking to move to?

Similar plumbing topics

Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Understood, will order the part, is it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks.
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'll start updating my drawing and post back...
Replies
Views
Back