What type of boiler do I have? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What type of boiler do I have? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Just out of interest what supplier are you with and what kwh price are you getting?
I've just started with Outfox The Market. Electric cost is 9.7062p/kWh, day and night. There is no daily rate (aka standing charge).
I was with ExtraEnergy, whose prices were rising to 16.437p/kWh day, 9.914p/kWh night.
As somebody said, if you have a smart meter you might have day and night prices already, and it probably doesn't need an automatic switch.

I've just started with Outfox The Market. Electric cost is 9.7062p/kWh, day and night. There is no daily rate (aka standing charge).
I was with ExtraEnergy, whose prices were rising to 16.437p/kWh day, 9.914p/kWh night.
As somebody said, if you have a smart meter you might have day and night prices already, and it probably doesn't need an automatic switch.
That is really cheap. 9.7p and no standing charge. . . I shall have to look that up. [EDIT doesn't look so good once you factor in £75.10 a year to join the "Energy Hero Club" (a standing charge in all but name?), and 11.4p in Colchester :( Having said all that, there is quite a LOT to like about the offer this company makes mumble mumble mumble]

Basically, all electric heaters are equally efficient at converting electricity to heat, but the better the lagging on your cylinder, the more of that heat will actually be used by you for hot water. Heat escaping the cylinder will still heat your home, but this is a waste during the summer.

Going onto an economy 7 tariff will probably give you more expensive day rate electricity, so the question is really how much of your demand for electricity you can switch to the night. Storing the heat energy (e.g. by keeping water in an insulated cylinder) so that you buy it when it is cheap and use it when it is more expensive can work well (and a wet central heating system from a large electric thermal store could be ideal), but if you are on economy 7 and use a tumble dryer during the day, take electric showers during the day and find that your storage heaters actually struggle to store the heat from the previous night until 7 o'clock in the evening when you actually want it, then economy 7 (or economy 10 may be worth looking into) may not be for you.

In the meantime, you will have less heat loss using ONLY the boost as you are storing less hot water, so if you are not on Economy 7 tariff, then just using the boost may be a good idea. Probably worth heating the cylinder through once a week though using the other switch, just to keep things hygienic.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

O
I have not seen a Horstmann boiler, in the...
Replies
Views
I am only telling you what I have seen. I...
Replies
Views
Worked a charm, thanks a lot Shaun!
Replies
Views
I'm sorry it's been difficult reading. Is this...
Replies
Views
Back