What valve is the flow | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What valve is the flow in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all
I removed a radiator off the wall and forgot to note what valve was the flow as I'll be replacing with a new radiator with a trv. Without putting back and re connecting how can I tell what pipe is the flow and what pipe is the return because I assume the trv goes on the flow. Btw both plastic caps are missing off the valves. Cheers in advance.

Last edited:
In the absence of evidence to the contrary, your best guess is that flow is usually on the left. This is a rule of thumb, however, not a law of nature. Have a look at the other radiators in the dwelling, which side is the TRV usually on?

Link the pipes with a bit of tube and see which gets hot first

Oh right. They was attached to the radiator when I dumped it.
These days trv valves can be fitted to either flow or return and work just fine. Just make sure that you read the information on the box. Seeing as you’ve dumped the rad valves with the radiator (ooopsie) make sure you get the trv and lock shield set. Some are sold trv only. Hope this helps.

I bought the above fittings like you mentioned and they don't fit the radiator valves. Surely you meant 3/4-15mm fittings?

Did you remove the tail out of the rad as you’ve said you binned it you will need to buy more eg lockshield valve and a trv

So theoretically when I buy a new radiator and order the new TRVs I could use the tails temporary out of those am I right in saying

Yes aslong as you get the same ones as your existing

Not if it’s one of mine I always fitted the air vent on the end that couldn’t be seen when entering the room for aesthetics
I usually put the air vent where it is more likely to be accessible. Which usually means nearest the entrance. Now I wonder if I've been doing it wrong... but no doubt I'm not the only one so rules of thumb may not always work.

Also, washing machine hoses could be an option because they are the same thread as my existing valves. I'll buy a 2 metre hose and attach to both valves and see what gets hot first as they'll only be on for a few seconds.
Hi mate, a mountain being made out of a molehill by a few here to be honest, get some bi directional valves and put them on, Danfoss ones are usually bi directional and it is far from the end of the world if they are the wrong way around, just out them on and if you get it the right way happy days.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Recommend to fit on the flow pipe
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the replies I decided to reroute...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Problem found, it was a blockage... mostly in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
I do not believe that the end cap doesn't come...
Replies
Views
Back