What wage to offer to get a good plumber? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What wage to offer to get a good plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 days holiday!!!! Can you move your company to Cornwall and I will work for you for £11 per hour!

Only you can know what your company can afford to pay by working out running costs for that person compared to what you charge. There is no point in taking on somebody that you can't afford and have to lay them off or negotiate pay reduction.

Also it's better to start off lower and build up to a better price than try and go the other way as not everyone will work at the same pace as yourself.

Around me now the prices are dire for plumbers £8.50-£10.00 and gas engineers £10.00-£11.00 unless you are willing to work for companies doing shift work and lots of call out then you will be closer to £13-£14.there are jobs offering more but they are sub contract but even those are £18-£22 for gas engineers. This is cornwall though so prices may be lower.

Around Worcestershire/ Gloucestershire the company I used to work for we're employing decent gas engineers for £24-29k per year but plumbers were £19-£22k.

I'll stick my neck out at fear of being lambasted i wouldnt pay a wet plumber £500.00 a week on paye. I would however pay that if they could tile plaster and renovate bathrooms aswell. But then again darn sarth it may well totally different.

Plumbers mate said "take home £500" which will throw it way up for top line, for me I think theses days £500 take home for only plumbing is quite high, but really depends who they are and what they can do in a week for you, it's all about quality, customer service and ultimately how much you make from them

30 days holiday!!!! Can you move your company to Cornwall and I will work for you for £11 per hour!

Only you can know what your company can afford to pay by working out running costs for that person compared to what you charge. There is no point in taking on somebody that you can't afford and have to lay them off or negotiate pay reduction.

Also it's better to start off lower and build up to a better price than try and go the other way as not everyone will work at the same pace as yourself.

Around me now the prices are dire for plumbers £8.50-£10.00 and gas engineers £10.00-£11.00 unless you are willing to work for companies doing shift work and lots of call out then you will be closer to £13-£14.there are jobs offering more but they are sub contract but even those are £18-£22 for gas engineers. This is cornwall though so prices may be lower.

Around Worcestershire/ Gloucestershire the company I used to work for we're employing decent gas engineers for £24-29k per year but plumbers were £19-£22k.

Was on grand a week down cornwall 18 months ago ,
Plumbing rates are rising as well to 17per hour

Subbing to mears based in Penzance 250 boiler change one a day all week ,

If you got plumbing gold card the agencies pay 16 plus per hour got offered 800 a week to jump ship this week.

Where in cornwall are you

Would avoid those job site job's as normally its pish takers but there was an commercial plumbs job down your way for 17 per hour other day and falmouth docks always looking for subs normally good wedge. Also mears cover loads of h/a around their , they always looking as well for subs

Get a experienced sub constructor and pay him £250 a day or on price and problem solved ! The one that will come for paye will twice as long to get the job done

Would avoid those job site job's as normally its pish takers but there was an commercial plumbs job down your way for 17 per hour other day and falmouth docks always looking for subs normally good wedge. Also mears cover loads of h/a around their , they always looking as well for subs

How do you get in with the likes of mears? I went for British gas but the agency were just useless and never got back to me and after about 5 phone calls to them I never got any further.

Get a experienced sub constructor and pay him £250 a day or on price and problem solved ! The one that will come for paye will twice as long to get the job done

I see your point but at £250 I would be earning no profit. I would also have all the disadvantages that go with having a good subcontractor, i.e. having to wait for space in their diary. Been there and done it and never been hugely impressed to be honest!

Good and fast is fine for me. To be honest, I would be happy with good to be fair!

Well at £10-£12 I've had not a single response. Certainly not willing to go above that rate for wet plumbing to be honest. I will just train up apprentice after apprentice and hopefully a good chunk of them will like me and stay around!

Well at £10-£12 I've had not a single response. Certainly not willing to go above that rate for wet plumbing to be honest. I will just train up apprentice after apprentice and hopefully a good chunk of them will like me and stay around!

I think that is the best way to be honest. Well that is why I have taken on an apprentice any way, as every subbie I use is just a pain. I am looking forward to training someone up and getting them to work to a good standard and the way I want things done and then I will happily pay them well to keep them on board.

Hi croft I recently left a full time job which included a lot of wet rooms installed for care and repair plus complete bathroom installs etc I am a plumber but am also confident in tiling,electrics,joinery and plastering(basically everything in the bathroom) have been in the trade 33 years.
My rate of pay was £12.50 per hour and I worked for this guy 7 years but left because I wanted to do more stuff with my son who is a tiler.
I actually thought i was worth more and am now working as a subby to a builder£20 per hour doing bathroom fitting alongside my own stuff.
I am situated in Scotland where the pay is lower I believe snipef rates are about£11.50 per hour.

To attract a good tradesman offer a decent rate £14 per hour would be about right for me..brum

Hmm. I see your point but with on costs of 30% (employers NI etc) £14 an hour is actually £18.20 per hour to the employer. That's £145.60p per day then I have to provide the van, tools, stock etc. It's leaving precious little left in there for the person finding the work to be honest.

I just genuinly think there is a shortage of skilled plumbers in my area. Lots of temporary jobs not seeming to be filled up here. I'm not sure I would be comfortable throwing nearly £30k at getting a wet plumber in who I don't really know from Adam. At that figure it's starting to get pretty scary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
Podium Plumbing is a modern, up and coming...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
Back