When is filling loop not a filling loop??? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss When is filling loop not a filling loop??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys,
Went to a job this afternoon where the custards boiler is in the loft. We got chatting about how well the boiler was working when he got onto its pressure loss. I obviously explained what this could be and that he'd need to get an engineer in to recharge it as and when it was required. I was surprised when he told me that his regular plumber had fixed that for him, he led me into the garage where he showed me a secondary filling loop installed on the pipework along with a pressure gauge. He told me that this was to save him going into the loft every time it needed repressurising. I was so caught out by this set up that I just nodded and left ASAP. I have to go back to fit a couple of new radiators and am concerned about what the hell I should say about this secondary loop, it can't be allowed and using another pressure gauge other than that on the boiler is nothing but dangerous surely? Please help!!!!

There is nothing wrong with having a filling loop and secondary gauge away from the boiler. It isn't always practical to have the filling loop by the boiler like in this case.

I was always taught to not leave a filling loop attached to stop the customer "playing"? Have I misunderstood this??

There is nothing wrong with having a filling loop and secondary gauge away from the boiler. It isn't always practical to have the filling loop by the boiler like in this case.

Spot on!

I was always taught to not leave a filling loop attached to stop the customer "playing"? Have I misunderstood this??

It's correct, but in practical real world situations, it just doesn't happen. Everyone leaves em attached, and no one is going to judge you for doing the same.

No the flexi shouldn't be left attached, but that wasn't the issue in your first post.

I have done this quite a few times, when I worked for a company doing systems for elderly or less abled.
They can't be expected to clamber up lofts or into tight cupboards when you can hardly see the pressure gauge a example is the logic where it is right under the casing.
Very handy IMO

Apologies mfgs and all I have never left filling loops attached. Consider my question answered if you're all happy that loops left aren't really that much of an issue cheers all and sorry for the daft question

the cheap filling loops don't comply with water regs the check valve should be fitted to the cold but not possible with the cheap ones only one iso on them

op you sound not competent enough to do the work , i advise you to get more experienced plumber with you and learn from him

Apologies mfgs and all I have never left filling loops attached. Consider my question answered if you're all happy that loops left aren't really that much of an issue cheers all and sorry for the daft question

Don't worry about it, if you don't know at least you are finding out the answer.
Best place to find out is here as there are many opinions

I thought you were going to say a pressure reducing valve had been attached set @ 1 bar to replenish system! A secondary gauge in the garage with additional fill loop is what I would have done too! As for the fill loop left attached... If it aims attached its gonna get lost!

I don't think it's a stupid question. It's obvious to experienced plumbers, but if you're new to the trade, then you probably need to continue working alongside whoever mentored you to get your gas portfolio built up.

Remember some blokes are gas qualified and all they've ever done is fit meters. A couple of days at college and they're out fitting boilers. I don't think it's right, but it's true.

dont be silly , ask as much as you can it will bring up your technical knowledge more ,

we dont know it all , you know :)

I thought you were going to say a pressure reducing valve had been attached set @ 1 bar to replenish system! A secondary gauge in the garage with additional fill loop is what I would have done too! As for the fill loop left attached... If it aims attached its gonna get lost!

SNAP! That's exactly what I thought too.

that is what i was waiting for

We are all learning. Always best to ask than not. No matter if it's a silly question or not. No question that needs answering though in my opinion is silly. It's all about learning. And that is why we are on here. To learn and help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yep spot on
Replies
Views
The two red valves with brass caps on eg the...
Replies
Views
Where is the boiler located? Height wise from...
Replies
Views
This morning still hissing then I turned the...
Replies
Views
...cos it's a perfectly serviceable boiler...
Replies
Views
Back