Where to put softener in water system? | All Other Countries | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Where to put softener in water system? in the All Other Countries area at Plumbers Forums

I live in Azerbaijan, the house has three full bathrooms and has had up to 7 people living there. We store about 5-6 tonnes of water - a necessity because we've had no mains water for the last 2-3 days.

We currently have two plastic tanks but they are impossible to clean, so I am replacing them with a tiled concrete tank, about 5.75m3 (see pics). This is a fairly typical method in Azerbaijan. I'm just at the stage of revamping the pipework.

At the moment the arrangement is:
Mains => Cartridge filter 25u => plastic tanks => pump => RO softener => house

First step is to add a statutory water meter at the inlet and another water meter on the house side with a Flume 2 monitor connected to a phone app for "smart" monitoring.

Next step is to replace the wholly inadequate cartridge filter on the inlet with a proper sand filter that cleans itself.

I was in a shop yesterday looking for this and also talking about the RO softener. They shop guy sprung a bit of a surprise on me by saying that the softener should go before the tank rather than after - so all the stored water is soft rather than just the water we are immediately using.

So his arrangement would be:
Mains => Sand filter => RO softener => tank => pump => house

I'd be grateful for any advice on that...

Attachments

• Old system 1.jpg
    Old system 1.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Old system 2.jpg
    Old system 2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 16
  • New tank 2.jpg
    New tank 2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 17
  • New tank 1.jpg
    New tank 1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 19

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
So, to close this thread the solution I found...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could be limescale or maybe your filter media...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back