Which central heating system | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which central heating system in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Ds8854

Hi. I am refurbishing a 2.5 bedroom, 2 bathroom flat which needs a new central heating system. It's over the top floor and loft of a Victorian house. There will be a bathroom on the lower floor and en-suite shower room in the converted loft.

Not sure what the best central heating system would be - combi boiler or a system boiler with hot and cold tanks. Can combis deal with 2 bed flats without a hot water tank. There may only be one person living there initially so seems inefficient to have a whole hot water tank.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

David

Think the answer everybody is going to say about combi boilers is, yes, provided you choose a combi with good output for hot supply for your requirements & also if you have good pressure & flow from mains, as that's all that going to supply everything.

whats your cold water mains pressure and flow rates? baths in bathrooms? electric or mixer showers?

system boiler with hot and cold tanks????? are you sure there mate?

When you say System did you mean a Regular boiler? this is very common.
Regular has tank in loft for heating where system is sealed so has a filling loop and is fed from mains.

i doubt if you have room for tanks and cylinders so id go for combi 30kw minimum although with top floor flats gas supply can be a problem

If you have a plan to use multiple draw-offs at once (two showers), then forget a standard combi, ring the manfacturer's if in doubt. Your options, due to space, are narrowed to either a stored combi or a system boiler with a small unvented cylinder. The stored combi will be problematic, owing to the need of 3.7-4 cubic metres of gas per hour. Also these stored combi's are high on the central heating load; even if you went for a manufacturer whose boiler's central heating output can be capped, the lowest modualting rate would still be too high leading to boiler cycling. If you go for the system boiler, a certain manufacturer allows you to set different outputs for cent heat and stored water, saving you a packet; use an S-plan system. In any case you will need high WORKING pressure at the incomming main.

in most cases a combi is fine as long as water pressure is decent, they were designed for situations like the one you describe

Hi. I am refurbishing a 2.5 bedroom, 2 bathroom flat which needs a new central heating system. It's over the top floor and loft of a Victorian house. There will be a bathroom on the lower floor and en-suite shower room in the converted loft.

Not sure what the best central heating system would be - combi boiler or a system boiler with hot and cold tanks. Can combis deal with 2 bed flats without a hot water tank. There may only be one person living there initially so seems inefficient to have a whole hot water tank.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

David
probably better getting a local gasafe installer round to give you some on site advice,you seem unsure about either systems

Thanks. British Gas do a free consult for central heating systems, so might get them round. I have an independent water supply from the mains to the flat via a 22mm pipe, but not sure what the flow rate is.

What about a combi with a pump if the pressure isn't sufficient in the loft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
R
I need advice on flushing out my central...
Replies
Views
Robin Overall
R
Back