Why are all the components for a solar system so expensive ? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Why are all the components for a solar system so expensive ? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Rob Foster

Esteemed
I am thinking of putting together a system from a roof panel to a second coil in the cylinder but all the bits in the BES book are way more than ordinary fittings. As the solar liquid is chemically stabilised surely ordinary fittings and pipe will be ok. Or am I missing something here ?

There designed for extreme temp so yea

Ordinary everyday plumbing fittings made with non ferrous metals can be used, but it’s very wise you dont use endfeed fittings from the solar panel to about 2 metres away/ down, as if the pump fails it can get very hot ( stagnation)and melt solder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordinary everyday plumbing fittings made with non ferrous metals can be used, but it’s very wise you dont use endfeed fittings from the solar panel to about 2 metres away/ down, as if the pump fails it can get very hot and melt solder.

cant use soldered at all mate

Thank you for your replies so far. Brazing is no problem and I can use my cleaned gas fittings I have left over from my hospital medi gas installation days. There is a coil conversion for the immersion boss on the cylinder I have seen and use the comp fittings as you suggest. Bingo - or is it ?
I have my own solar thermal panels. Anymore suggestion positive or otherwise ?

Coil conversion going in through an immersion heater boss , shakes his head , what about pump , expanssion vessel , system pressure , controller , system linked to boiler etc etc etc .

My post above said not a diy job , it is turning into one , I am out !!

Coil conversion going in through an immersion heater boss , shakes his head , what about pump , expanssion vessel , system pressure , controller , system linked to boiler etc etc etc .

My post above said not a diy job , it is turning into one , I am out !!

I completely disagree, a thermal solar system can be installed competently by any good diyer. As plumbers/ gas guys/ heating engineers, we weren’t the pioneers of thermal solar. The plumbing industry only jumped on the renewable band wagon about 5 years ago, up until that time I’d say the bulk of home thermal installs were done by diyer’s. Yes, I’d agree that some are a little sketchy, but some are totally superb. Gas/ heating/ plumbing isn’t rocket science. You’d be totally amazed at how many intelligent people are out there, that would put yours and I’s grey matter to shame.

I think this is what I was thinking when I posted so thanks bog rodder.
This 'diy' system will be connected to a solar thermal roof that my design company produced and which already has accreditation. I am just pushing the boundaries a bit. So thanks to all who have given their opinion. There are pics but on another computer

I think this is what I was thinking when I posted so thanks bog rodder.
This 'diy' system will be connected to a solar thermal roof that my design company produced and which already has accreditation. I am just pushing the boundaries a bit. So thanks to all who have given their opinion. There are pics but on another computer
It’s okay rob.

FWIW, The Centre for Alternative Technology, which has been messing around with solar since before it was invented, comments that flat plate collectors give a lesser output than evacuated tubes per unit of surface area, but have a better life expectancy.

The conclusion at CAT is, therefore, that you are probably better off avoiding evacuated tubes UNLESS you have a lack of roof area which means that you cannot obtain the output you require from flat plates.

The solar thermal roof we developed was using pull extruded grp with all interlocking strips with a heating matrix behind it - it was so strong you could use it for solar walls and as a demo I drove my Landrover over it. Thats what I am using this time with the left overs for a garden office.

Similar plumbing topics

Were in a similar-ish situation in that our...
Replies
Views
Its a Combi. Its a Worcester Bosch Greenstar...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Back