Why are Cylinders rarely in the loft for Trad. Gravity Vented Systems? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Why are Cylinders rarely in the loft for Trad. Gravity Vented Systems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

With a poor incomer, it is possible to have a high pressure unvented but you need a pump on the output from a big cistern feeding it. That cistern can be located anywhere (so long as you have a couple of flapper type non return valves in the output to stop back flow and you have seriously sized overflow on the tank just in case.

Doing it that way put the weight somewhere much safer.

So let me have this right. I put large tanks where I like, supply a sealed system pumped from this. I'm no fan of storing all that weight in my loft, and it won't be cheap or easy. If I go the sealed route, I've water at the pressure of my supply pump, stored somewhere safer? I can still move my HW tank into the loft, or anywhere really, but I've lost the massive CW tank in the loft. CW tank is now a supply tank placed any where I like as well? Have I got it?

Last edited:
I believe the cistern referred to there is the cold water tank. The (traditional type) hot water cylinder doesn't have a float valve.

Yes, I'd need a horizontal cylinder to get headroom for the CW tank/ cistern above it?

So let me have this right. I put large tanks where I like, supply a sealed system pumped from this. I'm no fan of storing all that weight in my loft, and it won't be cheap or easy. If I go the sealed route, I've water at the pressure of my supply pump, stored somewhere safer? I can still move my HW tank into the loft, or anywhere really, but I've lost the massive CW tank in the loft. CW tank is now a supply tank placed any where I like as well? Have I got it?

Yep

Thank you . So in conclusion, a sealed-system's big advantage if I can find mains pressure to run it, is that,

1) Whilst some locations are better, at a push, I can put tanks broadly where I like.
2) In my case the HW tank will still find its way into the loft, simply because that's where there's space, (and gravity helps feed F & R to it too) but it could sit on the ground floor, next to the boiler, or even below it?
The downside is complication and getting a 'bloke' in.

Whereas a trad. system struggles to find loft-headroom, and weight is the worry. But at push, might be possible.

Thank you . Whereas a trad. system struggles to find loft-headroom, and weight is the worry. But at push, might be possible.

Just a fact for you. NO new house builder puts in low pressure systems anymore - not one. An HP system will also affords you a wider choice of kit to use. An LP system can work out expensive in things like showers as they have to be so much better machined.

Overall, yes an unvented system ( sealed) is leaps and bounds better, although vented systems are still very common and have a use as it were.

Thanks all.

An HP system will also affords you a wider choice of kit to use. An LP system can work out expensive in things like showers as they have to be so much better machined.

How is that? I'd have it that a 'pump is a pump', I can see, if said pump was already fed at 1bar, it has less work to do, so we see more 'grunt' for our trouble, but what am I missing? Is that the only reason we need better kit?

Let's take an example. Mira hi pressure digital showers cannot work with pumped low pressure systems. However, do what I'm suggesting and they do work as it becomes a high pressure system.

Better kit = improved flow rates and they are required for NON pumped systems - gravity systems.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Dab easy sys tank and pump, 210-250 unvented...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for your reply Basher. I played the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
Back