Worcester 30 cdi - noisy Central heating | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worcester 30 cdi - noisy Central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lvegas2009

I have a Worcester 30 cdi boiler which was installed about 18 months ago.

For the last few months, I have had noise from the central heating when it starts up and switches off. The noise is a "pinging" and "clicking" and is heard for a few minutes while the heating warms up. Once warmed up, I get the occassional click and ping but that sounds just like normal pipe expansion. Noise is most noticeable upstairs. The noise is sufficient to wake me up every night and is getting increasingly annoying!

The boiler was serviced in the Autumn, but heating not used for a while after, so do not know if this has caused a problem? I do not remember the noise occurring the first winter we had the system, nor on the old Ferroli system we had before so believe something has changed.

Initially thought there was something stuck in a rad, but after removing the one I thought the noise came from, there was nothing unusual. There did not appear to be much muck in there, and we have an attached Magnaflow.
One small thing, I do occasionally here a noise from the boiler which sounds like the noise when you blow across the top of a bottle? Do not know if this related or unusual?
Any ideas greatfully received. My guesses are:
-leak in system/pipework
-pump speed changed? (Don't know if this can be adjusted, there seems no setting on the display or user manual?
-muck in system (seems unlikely? System was powerflushed when installed and the magnaflow currently shows little in the way of muck?)

Any help / suggestions gratefully received

Could be the rads moving on the radiator brackets. Did the brackets have plastic covers where the radiator sits on the bracket?

Sounds like kettling. I would get an engineer in to check the boiler over.

Thanks for the suggestions

The rads are quite old and never had plastic covers on brackets, so I don't think it is this.

The boiler seems to sound "normal" and is relatvely new. What are the symptoms / giveway that it could be kettling? Presumably if it had been flushed when system installed this would reduce most mineral deposits?

I have had the noise with old rads, a newer boiler heats them up quicker and the faster expansion of the metal makes the sound. Without hearing it, it is very difficult to say.

Please do you know if there is a way of altering the pump speed? Wondered if the boiler was "too powerful" for the system?

is it an external pump, have a look on top to see if theres a switch with 3 speed settings, but obviously remember which setting its on in case for have to change it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

So it’s 4am and after the noise woke me up...
Replies
Views
Thanks. It's a 2017 Grant oil condensing...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
The Sunvic arrived a few days ago but I...
Replies
Views
Back