Worcester over heat on DHW. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worcester over heat on DHW. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

billski

Gas Engineer
Any ideas if I might be missing something? Worcester Greenstar 28i junior, hot water runs for 5 to 10mins then boiler flame cuts out and it over heats. I can hear the main heat exchanger kettling and banging for a few mins, boiler tries to fire 3 or 4 times, then it fires up and hot water runs again for 5 or so mins. Boiler is about 8 years old, cpa all good, fan test point -5.5 mbar, central heating water all seems clear, runs fine on max test mode, pump seems strong. Can it only be the plate heat exchanger and the main heat exchanger blocked or possibly some thing else? Cheers.

What’s your heat going into the plate and coming out ?

If you get constant HW at 52oc and boiler works fine for 5 minutes then Plate HEX isn't blocked, does it modulate correctly when it's on HW?

If it was diverter it would go down CH flow so wouldn't kettle.

Pump would be my bet, check to see if it's getting a Live when it kettles. If it is see if it's spinning/operating when it does the issue. Had exactly same issues on a Baxi/Vaillant where CH seemingly worked fine but HW played up. Baxi pump kept cutting out, Vaillant wasn't pumping it round plate quick enough.

If you get constant HW at 52oc and boiler works fine for 5 minutes then Plate HEX isn't blocked, does it modulate correctly when it's on HW?

If it was diverter it would go down CH flow so wouldn't kettle.

Pump would be my bet, check to see if it's getting a Live when it kettles. If it is see if it's spinning/operating when it does the issue. Had exactly same issues on a Baxi/Vaillant where CH seemingly worked fine but HW played up. Baxi pump kept cutting out, Vaillant wasn't pumping it round plate quick enough.

Inject some f5 or f3 into the boiler through the bleed point (isolating the ch system isolation valves on boiler) and run the hot water tap for 20 mins to half hour. Will give a good clean out of plate and main heat exchanger and will likely solve it.

Normally would put the temp clamps/probes across plate inlet and outlet as has already been suggested above first though. And a non either some probes from multimeter or non contact voltage detector on the lead to the pump to confirm power supply is consistent to pump.

Inject some f5 or f3 into the boiler through the bleed point (isolating the ch system isolation valves on boiler) and run the hot water tap for 20 mins to half hour. Will give a good clean out of plate and main heat exchanger and will likely solve it.

Normally would put the temp clamps/probes across plate inlet and outlet as has already been suggested above first though. And a non either some probes from multimeter or non contact voltage detector on the lead to the pump to confirm power supply is consistent to pump.

That sounds promising.
Have you done that your self with the f3/f5 cleaner?

Is the boiler modulating? Keep an eye on the inlet pressure see if it goes up and down.

Remove the motor from the DV and run it round the heating for a bit.

Undo the screw on the pump stick a screwdriver in it if you can stop it pump is shot if it tries to break your screwdriver end off it's all good.

Get it hot and then link out the flue O/H stat.

Is the boiler modulating? Keep an eye on the inlet pressure see if it goes up and down.

Remove the motor from the DV and run it round the heating for a bit.

Undo the screw on the pump stick a screwdriver in it if you can stop it pump is shot if it tries to break your screwdriver end off it's all good.

Get it hot and then link out the flue O/H stat.
Okay so if it's not modulating what would cause that and you say link out the o/h stat, why?

Okay so if it's not modulating what would cause that and you say link out the o/h stat, why?

If it's not modulating then I'd look at thermistor. Generally pcbs on Worcester are not that bad the fans are shocking but if they go they go properly.

Disconnect the FLUE o/h stat. I believe it is linked on the same as the o/h and aps. I've had a couple fail in the past when they start to get hot. They can be tricky to diagnose as they are intermittent.

From your description I'm still of the opinion that it's gonna be restrictions causing the issue. As if it wasn't modulating then the hot water wouldn't likely remain at 52degrees.

And flue o/heat stat wouldn't cause it to bang and crash like you've described.

I'd check the thermistor ranges anyway and then do the old f3/f5 trick.

From your description I'm still of the opinion that it's gonna be restrictions causing the issue. As if it wasn't modulating then the hot water wouldn't likely remain at 52degrees.

And flue o/heat stat wouldn't cause it to bang and crash like you've described.

I'd check the thermistor ranges anyway and then do the old f3/f5 trick.

If it was a restriction I would imagine it would happen when the boiler is running on max not so much after it had been running for a while.

My guess would be pump dodgy but I thought I would mention everything else so they can check it all instead of going to the job seeing if its modulating then coming back on here then checking the pump and coming back on here.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok great...really hoping it wasn't a leak.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I have I blend valve from Nu-Heat ( they...
Replies
Views
S
Could be Rubbish blocking the pressure gauge and...
Replies
Views
Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
That’s not plumbing advice, that’s gas related...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back