workers rights | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss workers rights in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

i dont agree with what they are doing to you (if it is them thats doing it) but i dont agree that they do nothing for their money, they got the work and gave it to you, why dont you go and get the work yourself, they have went out and set up contracts with firms to supply labour when needed at short notice, why dont you go round and speak to the big guys and offer your services at a minutes notice and you will get the money

I would if I knew how? lol appreciate what youre saying kirkgas just frustrated because of whats happened. Although don't agree with the umbrella payment thingy, where they take £20 of my wages to pay me?>!!! is there a way round this?

I would if I knew how? lol appreciate what youre saying kirkgas just frustrated because of whats happened. Although don't agree with the umbrella payment thingy, where they take £20 of my wages to pay me?>!!! is there a way round this?

therefore its all about THEIR contacts, so without them you you have no work, the umbrella payment thing is part of their contract set up so i dont think you can get round it its just a cost as there needs to be a wage department, and the agency have decided it needs to come out of your side not theirs, i appreciate what some of them do id well dodgy but its just someone else trying to up their % from an ever decreasing pot

my point is though they get paid money for who they know, not what they know!! Thats wrong. They are not skilled professionals IMO. They are not much better than mobs like Rated People. You have to pay them to give you work

I agree they are not much better than rated people or the like but the reality is in the past 20 years or so agencies have gained a strong hold in all places of employment not just construction (factories are also now full of agency workers).
It suits the employers because they offer short term no contract staff.
They are ripping the knittting at £9 /hr but if people are doing it for that they will get away with paying it. Bottom line is if you don't like them or their conditions don't work for them.
As for your employment rights. You have none as you are not employed. Take it or leave it i'm afraid.

yeah i agree you would have no luck , what can you do ,take them to court ? and then they`d turn round and say the advertisement was for another site not the one you was working on.......job ad im guessing would have said plumber wanted for site work camden area etc, not specific

Sorry to hear about this.

If you have the proof in print, online or on paper, that the job was for L12, and ideally proof that you undertook the labor with that price in the contractual agreement, then you do have a solid legal case against the agency. The tactic is called 'bait and switch', and it is against the law (switching to L9).

The trouble is, though, the difference in money from the payout at L12 would probably make a lawsuit not worth it. That is, you would have to invest too much money and time and effort in launching and contesting the case. They know this, unfortunately.

IMO £12 is taking the micky! I understand some people have no choice as it maybe the only work they can get.

Here no plumber ( employee ) would do it for less then £17 an hour. but maybe the wage in the UK differs from the channel islands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

Working at a flow temp of 30 ? As a dt of 30...
Replies
Views
Hi John, Thank for a such detailed response...
Replies
Views
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
All done.
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Impossible to answer, literally. The only part...
Replies
Views
Back