Working away. | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working away. in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

G

gravy88

Hi all, I will be working away soon, all my food/digs will be sorted so I just need to sort my hourly rate out.
At the moment I charge £18 an hour, I will be doing 12 days, and staying away in a caravan for 4-5 days. So I want some decent brass for it, there's roughly 6weeks work. What would you guys charge per hour?
Thanks

12 hour days? Nice hot powerful shower and big soft bed when you finished as well! Needs must I guess. Are you house bashing or commercial ?
If your in a good squad then £1200 to 1400 per week plus scrap if doing revites and swaps? Also depends on location? South east more expensive!

If barn conversion why such long days? You not better going in on a price (make very detailed schedule) then open up the throttle! Work at night to avoid other trades you will get 25% more done. Also you can leave lists of stuff u want done for your next shift. U doing other works on job or is it mammoth? 360hrs is a lot of time!

ill come with you for some training ad i can speed things up running pipes holes lips rads bathroom install ????? £60 per shirt ???? what you think mate sounds good

We work away quite alot and heres what we do (mind you I own the outfit but act as a sub-contractor)

1. All accomadation is paid for - good places with an early breakfast or butties as we go
2. Evening meal is charged to main contractor on hotel bill but never have it - we get takeaways
or chippy/cheap but good cafe and by agreement with the management drink the food bill at
the bar - advantage we all stick together and go to bed ready 4 next day
3. Never less than £30 per hour + a few moby calls to home
4. we always park the transits up at night back to back and if we do go out use taxis in
new towns - no one gets left behind unless they are certain the woman is ok

Our rules ........centralheatking

Hi all, I will be working away soon, all my food/digs will be sorted so I just need to sort my hourly rate out.
At the moment I charge £18 an hour, I will be doing 12 days, and staying away in a caravan for 4-5 days. So I want some decent brass for it, there's roughly 6weeks work. What would you guys charge per hour?
Thanks

When we worked away he had nights in travel lodge and £20 per food money if out with the boss we'd get more for beer money....
some times if its a big job we get tool allowance and clothes....
only if we needed new PPE or crap like that

Food and digs are necessary expenses.
For working away i would definitely be wanting more than usual day rate. You have to be recompensed for being away from family

I don't think I am out of line saying this. Or rude

But if you don't want the work don't take it. There are many more out there

I will happily pay the digs and food. But in not going to give you extra for working away.

I give my boys as many hours as they can get in. Decent accommodation and food allowance

If they want extra on their pay they can find another job.

I like to think I'm a fair boss etc and I don't get anymore by working away.

I don't think I am out of line saying this. Or rude

But if you don't want the work don't take it. There are many more out there

I will happily pay the digs and food. But in not going to give you extra for working away.

I give my boys as many hours as they can get in. Decent accommodation and food allowance

If they want extra on their pay they can find another job.

I like to think I'm a fair boss etc and I don't get anymore by working away.

No need for the righteous indignation fella.
I agree with every word you say, regarding lads who have some form of employment

However we aren't talking about employed lads for whom working away forms part of the established work pattern are we?

My comments refer to a fella doing a single job which requires him to kip in a caravan for six weeks away from home. (i have this bad habit of aiming my comments at those who start threads)

Circumstances under which i , and Im sure many others would feel justified increasing our fees. ;)

Circumstances under which i , and Im sure many others would feel justified increasing our fees. ;)

The mob im working for this now im away all the time, im used to when working away ever day is a 12hr day even if u only do 9/10hrs, after 4:30 it WAS time and half then ur weekend rates. now its all just at time and only for the hours you do.

£20 a night for dinner, must keep reciepts to claim back (most hotels if u ask nicely will just put food on ur bill so you can drink the £20)
Digs are paid for normally £50 per night.

wokring away aint what it used to be for me anyway.

Similar plumbing topics

Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As an experiment could you go away for weekend...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I will have to experiment like you said and...
Replies
Views
Back