Working on heating side of system with an unvented cylinder, no G3? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working on heating side of system with an unvented cylinder, no G3? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

I'm a competent DIYer with an engineering background and am active in Heritage Buildings. I never touch anything I'm not allowed to albeit I've worked on the wet side of my own heating on the central heating circuit before when I had a combi - balancing rads, add a Fernox TF1, washing through the system and running new rads from the manifold, and understand the nuances of s-type wiring etc.

I've recently moved into a large old property and the prior owners have massively underspecced radiators in a number of rooms (I've run heat loss calcs and they're about 20% of what's required in one room - a stupid bloody designer spring rad with an output of 1,200 BTU in an attic room with a heat loss of in excess of 6,000 BTU).

I would be delighted to drain down the system and put a "real" radiator in - but can I legally do so on an unvented system? And if so, is there anything specific I need to do or know?

I've tried finding a local G3 plumber but they seem to be impossible to source.

Thanks so much!

Yes you can. G3 is only with regards to the unvented cylinder.
However if you have an unvented cylinder and don’t know exactly what you’re looking at, I strongly advise that you get this serviced and checked over - especially in light of the obvious mistake you have found, there may be potentially dangerous mistakes on the install that you are unaware of.
Regarding your radiator swap- just drain down to below the attic rad you are replacing (no need for a full drain down).
Alter pipework for new rad and top up system, don’t forget inhibitor, then vent as usual.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
And it's fixed! Had someone move the EV from...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Clarification for the OP: John is referring to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
Nope shouldn’t drop after around a month after...
Replies
Views
Back