Working Pressure versus Operation Pressure | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working Pressure versus Operation Pressure in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

S

storeyn

Can anyone confirm if working pressure is the same as operating pressure, I am currently completing my level 3 c&g certificate and this question is causing some confusion. The landlords safety check form states opertating pressure or kw which would suggest its the burner pressure, would be grateful if anyone can claify.:) Thanks in advance for your help

two types; standing & operating pressure done at meter to confirm regulator is ok
Inlet pressure only really done at appliance to confirm adequate supply to appliance and burner pressure (operating) done with gas rate

Thats funny every BG Engineer who has serviced (Sorry not serviced, safe checked) my boiler over the last few years have never completed a TT, burner pressure or Gas Rate. they have all done a FGA Test, probably checked seals and thats it. I know this as they have never asked to see the gas meter, which is under the stairs and has 2 semi rigid connections one on the inlet and another on the outlet, which i believe is NCS. I did ask the BG guy why did he not check the burner pressure. He stated, "If it wasn't burning right the FGA test would state this and the burner pressure test cannot check the integrity of the burner injectors. He said the FGA is used to save time on gas rates and burner presures on boilers.

Whats your opinion?

BG do their own thing to their own rules. None of them actually contravene any gas regs but they could do better.
That is big business for you.

They do contravene , if you read servicing mfi there is a narrative C/o figure and below that they must strip down and clean boiler , not that they even take there jacket off or Finnish there tea. When the statement from hse to gas safe says you shall that means you must , I have been out to a boiler in jan it was service contract eta was 9 days after a christmas service and that was labled a/r .

So whats the norm. Just do an FGA on a boiler or FGA, Burner Pressure & Gas Rate? I prefer the latter. I know half of E'ON just check seals and do a burner pressure/gas rate, the majority are not even CPA1. Do people bother to do all?

Don't GSIUR say that you have to check burner pressure and/or gas rate every time you work on an appliance? Plus safety devices, flue and air supply?

BG state either burner pressure or gas rate (which even one applies) and combustion analysis plus fsd's etc etc. No need to do a tightness test on a boiler service unless a customer complains of a smell of gas.

I was told to do burner pressure and gas rate if possible, which I do for the sake of 2 minutes, which found me a DFE last year that had the wrong injector in since new. Burner pressure was fine, but was using twice the gas it should have. Also have group round here that do safety checks for council, take 10 mins including phone call (mother in law tells me), no tightness test, no FGA, no BP.

Tightness test , bp, gr , always conducted helps keep people safe poss 15-22 extra pa . Also covers your bum if anyone professional looks at your job then all of a sudden they are no better than you .. When I have my inspection I like the inspector to chew his nails and look nervous and for it not to be the other way round...

Gsiur is what you get hit with in court by hse. You attend training and assessment so you prove hse guidelines that you are competent to source the relevant information required for each set scenario ie dfe o/ f boiler and large extractor in adjacent room . Then they have proof your competent then the barrister hits you with manslaughter . Now there is food for thought or for all the newbies working on gas. Listening to chap in cafe today saying he's qualified to fix neighbours boiler he qualified 3 months ago the neighbour was going on holiday on Friday and couldn't afford any outlay b4 holiday . So the qualified chap bypassed the overheat stat with a piece of wire.... Burn down all these rapid pass gas centres b4 they burn down customers houses ... Put a stop to rapid pass and opening your gas company with hours of experience and make it mandatory for min 3 yrs working for a company , I have to deal with these peoples boilers all day and they hate paying twice then they say he was competent I see his card ???????

Poss , if they have comprehensive engineering experience 3 yrs good 6 yrs for a builder or a banker from the city , met 1 5 yrs ago he couldn't even hang the boiler sound to the wall .

Just to say! That i thought working pressure and operating pressure were different.
Working Pressure(inlet pressure) and Burner pressure now called (operating pressure)... Eg On a combi boiler gas valve there are two test points. The one closest to the gas pipe is used to measure the Working Pressure (Inlet Pressure) and the second one is used to measure the Burner Pressure (Operating Pressure). Correct me if i am wrong cheers.

Listening to chap in cafe today saying he's qualified to fix neighbours boiler he qualified 3 months ago the neighbour was going on holiday on Friday and couldn't afford any outlay b4 holiday . So the qualified chap bypassed the overheat stat with a piece of wire.... Burn down all these rapid pass gas centres b4 they burn down customers houses ... Put a stop to rapid pass and opening your gas company with hours of experience and make it mandatory for min 3 yrs working for a company , I have to deal with these peoples boilers all day and they hate paying twice then they say he was competent I see his card ???????

You think linking out of devices is just the territory of fast-trackers? Hmpf, how about I tell you, as product of fast-track myself, that I've found more than my fair share of linked out devices done by time-served, older, ex Gas Board guys.

What if I told you that I've had to explain what I consider one of the most basic principles of gas safety? Why should I have to explain to time-served engineers that you are not allowed any drop on pipework, new or existing? That's school-boy stuff!

Do I know it all? No way ... I'll be learning for the rest of my life. I also know my limitations and won't do certain things without a more experienced engineer, despite having a card that says I can.

So before you tar all us that are a product of the fast-track system with the same brush, please do realise that there are equally as dangerous time-served folks out there.

yep ave seen both sides fast trackers that have passed and dont no hardly anything having been a cook or bus driver seen one who had passed on fires but never been near one so he told us asked him a few questions and he didnt get anything right but also seen so called experienced people who,ve been fitting a 33 kw boiler were the run has disapeard and is a pain to get at and its in 15mm and theve connected to it and left it ave seen loads of stuff people who were corgi first and can only hang boilers nothing else and no checks on anything

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with CMairiD . I remember doing my ACOPS years ago and this old engineer thats was a Foreman for a heating firm , Well what he came out with was a serious concern regarding gas safety . At the time I thought bloody hell and this guy is in charge . Regarding bridging things out that should only ever be done for test purposes and should NEVER EVER be left in place as far as I am concerned

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, i was wondering if there was...
Replies
Views
Thanks Enthalpy, Your conclusion is exactly...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much for your help.
Replies
Views
Many thanks for your reply. I have checked the...
Replies
Views
Back