Y plan wiring and how it works | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Y plan wiring and how it works in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

plumbow

Hi, guys i resently i built my self a board using all the conponants to help me under stand how to fault find a y plan heating system, im having problems under standing three things and how they work, so i can finally get it work properly.

1)the perpuse of the off wire from the programmer to the wire centre.
2)The mid postion valve and how it works when each wire is powerd.
3)the cylinder stat what it powers and what its powerd.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

have a look at the honeywell site they also do a very good course , one thing I can guarantee is you never stop learning in this job

here is something i found from somewhere and you need a v4073a mid pos valve internal schematic to understand it,
3 port mid pos valve moves to 3 positions using only non reversable AC motor, a spring , a couple of microswitches 2 resitors and a diode and acts as a relay for the boiler. The spring pulls the valve to pos A, while the motor winds it towards pos B. If the motor is left continuously powered, it will stall in pos B , but if it is fed with DC (produced by resistor and diode) then it will stall in any position. Two microswitches operating just either side of the A+B port are used to define the position. The switches SW1 and SW2 are shown in the valve rest position (A) As the valve moves over towards the B position, SW1 changes over just before the A+B point and SW2 just after
note i will continue on next post as i wrote this before and it would not post and work was lost cheers

The white and grey wires are the control inputs,the orange is the output to the boiler. in the BOTH OFF STATE , the system wiring results in grey being live. If the valve happens to be in the A+B or B position , SW1 will have been operated , the motor will be fed with AC , and the valve will wind to pos B and stay there (although the orange boiler output will not be live). The 270k resistor supplies a small AC current to de-magnetise the motor from the effects of the rectified DC that is used to hold it in the MID-POSITION, without this there is some risk that the return spring will not be able to overcome the residual magnetism to return it to the END position
more to follow cheers

Not much idea what you're on about but I guess I'll be reading this when I might look up Y plans on here as I've come across this type of language on quite a regular basis in the last few months or so.

In the HOT-WATER-ONlY state neither grey nor white are energised. The spring will therefore pull the valve back to A where it will sit.
In the HOT-WATER-AND- HEATING state , white is energised. If the valve is at A the motor will wind it until A+B, whereapon SW1 changes over, DC is applied to the motor via SW2 and it will stall. If it overshoots, or if is at B , SW2 will be operated as well, removing all power from the motor, and allowing the spring to pull the valve back to A+B. note - as the spring pulls the valve from B to A+B , the motor acquires quite a momentum and overshoots. It then winds forward a little and stops in the correct position.
In the HEATING-ONLY state both white and grey are energised (hence the need for a change over tank stat and a HOT WATER not required output from the programmer). Regardless of the position of either switch, AC will be supplied to the motor, and it will wind to position B. In addition, SW2 will connect white to orange, switching on the boiler. (the boiler is switched externally to the valve in the other situations).
hope this helps
this is not my own work
cheers

phone honeywell, and ask for a honeywell wiring guide.
its a heating engineers bible, all that spaghetti will make sense!!
very helpful people with SUPERB one day courses.
did mine years ago, and have requested replacement wiring books a few times!

best thing to do as has been mentioned is get one of those honeywell books thay are a godsend.i taught my self system wiring a while back using that book. the key thing to remember is that you basically sending a switch live from programmer to boiler. e.g. prgrammer, cylinder stat , 3 port, pump , boiler in that order. so if you get called to a fault you know roughly where to start looking e.g. is the pump running?/ etc. people seem to lose confidence with it as the open the wiring centre and just see a mess but if you picture the circuit from the honeywell book and think about what each component is trying to do its pretty logical.

i have a superb honeywell powerpoint that has all the systems on it which energises each wire per click and shows the power flowing to the controls and how they work, anyone who wants it send me a PM with an email address

I spent yesterday morning trying to unravel a blown fuse when the programmer was turned on.

Not sure I need to go on this Honeywell course now as I can now use my multimeter properly, follow the wiring plan accurately, follow wires and changes of colours and things, etc, etc.

Once you get a clear head, it's kids play really!!

Hi Kirk gas, am sorry but i cannot seem to remember how to post a pm message. I have pm you before talking about the Acs exams and what practical assignments to expect. You said i should pm you as am about to start the acs course. You said you could send me some example papers that you use at your college. I started the 5 day course today and would really appreciate them now if they are still available. Also, i would really appreciate the honeywell powerpoint. Sorry to sound cheeky just asking for stuff. I just want to be fully prepared for the future. My email address is [email protected].

I look forward to hearing from you

Leroy

Hi, guys i resently i built my self a board using all the conponants to help me under stand how to fault find a y plan heating system, im having problems under standing three things and how they work, so i can finally get it work properly.

1)the perpuse of the off wire from the programmer to the wire centre.
2)The mid postion valve and how it works when each wire is powerd.
3)the cylinder stat what it powers and what its powerd.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

a y plan is simply a series of switches, like a light switch. the programmer is a switch, on and off but uses time clock to turn on and off. room and cylinder stat used temperature, but simply a switch.

mid position valve is a small ball which is either one way, the other or in the middle to allow water to each circuit
the 'off' wire is to power the motor to close the HW port when off. an s plan doesnt need one

The white and grey wires are the control inputs,the orange is the output to the boiler. in the BOTH OFF STATE , the system wiring results in grey being live. If the valve happens to be in the A+B or B position , SW1 will have been operated , the motor will be fed with AC , and the valve will wind to pos B and stay there (although the orange boiler output will not be live). The 270k resistor supplies a small AC current to de-magnetise the motor from the effects of the rectified DC that is used to hold it in the MID-POSITION, without this there is some risk that the return spring will not be able to overcome the residual magnetism to return it to the END position
more to follow cheers
orange isnt always the output wire, is also a signal wire

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Its a very ingenious but devilishly cunning...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, the installer had linked a permanent...
Replies
Views
Thanks, will drop that one out when doing the...
Replies
Views
Interesting idea when most people at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Here's an attachment of the PDF if people are...
Replies
Views
Back