zone valve issues | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss zone valve issues in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

A

Andymav

hi guys looking for some technical advice just replaced a drayton ZA5 actuator valve head as when the customer was putting the hot water on they were getting heating aswell the problem ive found is that the valve stays open constantly, when power is cut to the system it closes but when i switch the power back on it opens and doesnt shut so it allows hot water to flow to the heating aswell as the hot water circuit they have a vailiant ecotec boiler and a megaflow pressurised cylinder i cant figure out why the valve doesnt close off the flow to the heating

andy

Turn off timer and stats so there is no demand for heat. Take cover off zv. The two wires coming to motor carry power and open Valve.

In accordance with manufactured instructions set up your multi meter to work on 240v. Put one lead on to a neutral wire in connector block and then test either of the wires to the motor. If one of them is live its the wrong wire. Take a picture of zv wires and pic of wires in box

When the valve is stuck open, is there power on the brown wire?

If so then a control is keeping the valve open, if not then the valve is most likely faulty.

Disconnect the brown and the valve should close, if not then it's burglered.

Turn off timer and stats so there is no demand for heat. Take cover off zv. The two wires coming to motor carry power and open Valve.

In accordance with manufactured instructions set up your multi meter to work on 240v. Put one lead on to a neutral wire in connector block and then test either of the wires to the motor. If one of them is live its the wrong wire.

Are you sure?

yes there seems to be power flowing through it which tells me that something is telling it to stay open

You have connected a perm live to it so as others said check timer is off. Put timer on and test room stat, put on room stat, test across s/l and neutral - small voltage difference, now turn stat to 10c should have big diffrrnce 180v or more. Do same on cylinder stat . If they both break and make circuit turn both to low (no demand) check again at motor for voltage. If no voltage then u have a faulty time switch. If you have voltage u made a boo boo and connected one wire to perm live.

Could you have the brown and grey wires crossed to the wrong connections? The grey is live when mains are on and would then back feed and keep the valve open

Last edited:
As the problem was there before the new valve wss fitted it would be logical to assume that it is not the wiring or the valve at fault more likely to be the programmer or possibly stat.

How would stat bring in hot water if wired correctly? Perhaps timer wired incorrectly ? Easy way to check is remove wires for heating and hot water from back plate on timer and re test?

it would appear that yes the zone valve wasnt the problem originally i would assume the programmer is the problem, the system is quite new as the houses are new builds and the wiring centre is wago connectors il include a picture the wiring is exactly as it was i have double checked my wiring and it seems ok so im assuming the programmer has developed a fault

You have connected a perm live to it so as others said check timer is off. Put timer on and test room stat, put on room stat, test across s/l and neutral - small voltage difference, now turn stat to 10c should have big diffrrnce 180v or more. Do same on cylinder stat . If they both break and make circuit turn both to low (no demand) check again at motor for voltage. If no voltage then u have a faulty time switch. If you have voltage u made a boo boo and connected one wire to perm live.

Why 180v?
Mains voltage is usually 230 to 240v.
This is really basic stuff imo and if as suggested, the op has made a boo boo, then perhaps it's time to call a professional to sort it out.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
the micro switches in the zone valves fail …...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yep, that's it. I've uploaded a video to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you have test equipment then you could test...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back