1/2 inch lead off gas meter | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 1/2 inch lead off gas meter in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber0808

I am doing a boiler install and the existing gas is 22mm with a 1/2 inch lead tail off the meter.

i would normally just swap them for a bit of 22 when the gas is off, I left it on today to get the boiler running tonight.

Theres a 1mb drop from meter to boiler, should i still change it?

Nice one chaps, I thought this was a gsr forum to discuss topics to gauge practices out of prying eyes, not to criticise others.

I always change them but see so many left as they are.

@ermintrude bit unfair. Gas Safe do not expect engineers to know everything but expect them to be able to act responsibly and are able to show competence. Every one at some point asks questions why be on here at all.

@ch4 oh how that made me laugh.. Great input to the forum.

Nice one chaps, I thought this was a gsr forum to discuss topics to gauge practices out of prying eyes, not to criticise others

with respect, if you had made yourself a bit clearer you would not have got the response you did. I feel that a minimum of knowledge is required to be able to do safe gas work and you came across as not even having the most basic of knowledge with your op. If had just asked " do you guys replace lead with copper when doing an install?", then my answer would have been yes all the time, as I feel it looks better and gives me a warmer feeling inside knowing its all my work and no one else to blame for any leaks etc.

A little think before you write helps get the answer you want. cheers for now

Fair play to plumber0808, theres no such thing as a stupid question. Best to ask than keep your mouth shut and come a cropper later

In the op plumber0808 you say you normally change them, so what's different this time? What you do normally is best practice so stick with it.

and a bit of light ribbing never hurt anyone:aureola:

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the meter is supported then it should be OK. However when possible it's always best to bring it up to current regs.

Fair play to plumber0808, theres no such thing as a stupid question. Best to ask than keep your mouth shut and come a cropper later

sorry but when you have done your time at college and your time as an apprentice, there are some things you should know without thinking about it and if having qualified and been working in peoples houses earning money you dont know the basics, then in my opinion you shouldnt be doing the job. Bit like drivng a car and turning to the passenger and asking how to steer, it isnt right and you need to get with it a bit.

yes a forum is a place to bring up issues, but isnt it time people knew the basics.

Give him a break. Would be interested to know where the requirement is to change a pre existing lead tail for copper? How far do you go? Do you then ensure that every NCS is rectified in the property for the entire installation before leaving?

Seems like a reasonable question if you ask me. For the record, how many new meters have you seen with lead on the inlet and outlet?

Best practice would be to replace, I do but I will tell the customer it's being replaced as part of the quote. If the leads in good physical condition though and not causing insufficient pressure to appliances, you can leave it if you wish.

sorry but when you have done your time at college and your time as an apprentice, there are some things you should know without thinking about it and if having qualified and been working in peoples houses earning money you dont know the basics, then in my opinion you shouldnt be doing the job. Bit like drivng a car and turning to the passenger and asking how to steer, it isnt right and you need to get with it a bit.

yes a forum is a place to bring up issues, but isnt it time people knew the basics.

and what are the basics, we are talking about regulations here not personal opinions?

Couldnt disagree more with you, what a poor attitude, im sure you know it all and dont make mistakes, the rest of us will continue to ask questions and learn from each other

Whats the point of the forum otherwise

Sorry if I offended u, if any of my apprentices asked that question I would have cut out the lead pipe as smashed their skull in with it!

If it looks wrong or you have to ask its wrong or it's not good enough so go away and tell me when your done. The first time the respond with I have done it but you might want to have a look I say, if I look and it's **** your off! So they no longer ask me to look at borderline work they just cover it up for me to uncover and go ballistic.

It's about doing the best you can not the best you can be bothered with. Was pressure drop 0.95mbar ok or was it 1.5mbar?
Remove as much lead as possible it all helps your bottom line and job looks 100% more pro. Agree that it's good to ask :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I offended u, if any of my apprentices asked that question I would have cut out the lead pipe as smashed their skull in with it!

If it looks wrong or you have to ask its wrong or it's not good enough so go away and tell me when your done. The first time the respond with I have done it but you might want to have a look I say, if I look and it's **** your off! So they no longer ask me to look at borderline work they just cover it up for me to uncover and go ballistic.

Must be nice for them to have such an approachable boss

right you lot behave or i am taking your handbags off you at the end of the day the lad was asking a question ,any of you lot tell me you know it all and i will class you as being a total bull shire,but my slant on lead is if you can get to it replace it it can and does break down on taff joints far to easy if there not done right

Theres a lesson to be learnt there. Don't give people **** for asking questions, give them **** when they don't ask questions and do something wrong because they don't know what they are doing. People who ask questions learn quicker than people that don't - fact.

Couldnt agree less with you, what a poor attitude, im sure you know it all and dont make mistakes, the rest of us will continue to ask questions and learn from each other

Whats the point of the forum otherwise

It is about having supposedly completed a course, done your time and been awarded a set of qualifications that allow you to go and work in peoples houses. If after passing and completing all this training you feel the need to ask a basic day one question you need to consider whether you should be doing the job in the first place, as if you have no idea you are bringing my profession in to disrespute, not just you own. Its bad enough that tv rips into our trade at every opportunity, but people with tickets should know the simple answers and not embarass themselves if they dont. After all if you dont know the simple safety rules should you be out there working, I think not. I may be grumpy but it's time a few out there grew some balls, if you dont like critisism do your own research from your own books.

right you lot behave or i am taking your handbags off you at the end of the day the lad was asking a question ,any of you lot tell me you know it all and i will class you as being a total bull shire,but my slant on lead is if you can get to it replace it it can and does break down on taff joints far to easy if there not done right

I got taught with a paraffin blow-lamp :) Much more control than today's nozzles IMHO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Whereabouts are you based
Replies
Views
you will have to call the gas transporter /...
Replies
Views
I mean you can test with a multi meter on the...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
Back