1/2 inch lead off gas meter | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 1/2 inch lead off gas meter in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is about having supposedly completed a course, done your time and been awarded a set of qualifications that allow you to go and work in peoples houses. If after passing and completing all this training you feel the need to ask a basic day one question you need to consider whether you should be doing the job in the first place, as if you have no idea you are bringing my profession in to disrespute, not just you own. Its bad enough that tv rips into our trade at every opportunity, but people with tickets should know the simple answers and not embarass themselves if they dont. After all if you dont know the simple safety rules should you be out there working, I think not. I may be grumpy but it's time a few out there grew some balls, if you dont like critisism do your own research from your own books.

After studying for so long people will have grey areas in their knowledge, if you dont like the question then dont reply

You won't find a book in it that says a lead meter tail must be replaced. You'll find a book that says that 1mb drop across pipe work is acceptable though, and another that says there is no requirement to rectify an NCS non conformity.

Theres a lesson to be learnt there. Don't give people **** for asking questions, give them **** when they don't ask questions and do something wrong because they don't know what they are doing. People who ask questions learn quicker than people that don't - fact.

Agree they learn a lot quicker when they ask questions they don't know the answer to!

I am very approachable and am very nice but when they are too lazy to check books or drawings and ask me cos I know it really pees me off. They are learning that being a slacker is ok.

Think I'm stupid, soldering a joint are you wiping off flux.... Yeh yeh. Ok where is your wet rag? Err . It's dropped 3mbar on let by is that ok?

You won't find a book in it that says a lead meter tail must be replaced. You'll find a book that says that 1mb drop across pipe work is acceptable though, and another that says there is no requirement to rectify an NCS non conformity.

Also find a book which says you must install pipework to correct standards (mfrs info) so installing on ncs is a non starter, why not leave a 10mbar drop on it as it's only an ID and you don't have to repair it just make safe and notify?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also find a book which says you must install pipework to correct standards (mfrs info) so installing on ncs is a non starter, why not leave a 10mbar drop on it as it's only an ID and you don't have to repair it just make safe and notify?

But it's existing. The section of pipe in question is unaltered during installation. Would you also chain the cooker, cut the work tops up as they are too close to the freestanding cooker, replace the chimney pot as it is the wrong type? No of course not, yet they are all NCS.

Advice is great and sites like this are a god send for everyone. I come on here and learn like everyone else does. That said, there is no control on who or how many people read this (as long as you are gas safe in here ) or how it is interpreted so it's essential that the advice given is true and accurate. The regulations dictate what is allowed, our own opinions decide on best practice, common sense and high standards.

Even the O.P has stated he would normally replace as a matter of course, but the question was does he have too?

And just for fun --->:50:

Last edited:
But it's existing. The section of pipe in question is unaltered during installation. Would you also chain the cooker, cut the work tops up as they are too close to the freestanding cooker, replace the chimney pot as it is the wrong type? No of course not, yet they are all NCS.

Advice is great and sites like this are a god send for everyone. I come on here and learn like everyone else does. That said, there is no control on who or how many people read this (as long as you are gas safe in here ) or how it is interpreted so it's essential that the advice given is true and accurate. The regulations dictate what is allowed, our own opinions decide on best practice, common sense and high standards.

Even the O.P has stated he would normally replace as a matter of course, but the question was does he have too?

And just for fun --->:50:

But the pipework from the meter to the boiler is part of the install, that's why u upgrade gas supplies and don't just leave in 15mm, a cooker is a separate appliance, if u were installing a new cooker then it would need to be to current standards .

The mfrs state that pipework must be appropriately sized and to current standards.

It was a question as the lead tail is made on with a suitable fitting no pressure drop, the correct drop from meter and boiler and is bloody awkward to rectify.

As far as basics are concerned I have never left one on and wanted to know if others do. I can not understand why fellow gsr would want to question my competence due to me asking a legit question. That's what the private forum is about surely??

ive said it before, too many people are on here to jump on threads to criticise rather to help. Why contribute to a thread with rubbish.

It was a question as the lead tail is made on with a suitable fitting no pressure drop, the correct drop from meter and boiler and is bloody awkward to rectify.

As far as basics are concerned I have never left one on and wanted to know if others do. I can not understand why fellow gsr would want to question my competence due to me asking a legit question. That's what the private forum is about surely??

ive said it before, too many people are on here to jump on threads to criticise rather to help. Why contribute to a thread with rubbish.

if you had made this your op, you would have had a totally different response, but as you didnt you got the response you did , as it sounded as though you had wasted your time at college.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where does it say the pipe work should be to the correct standards? It's not in a dangerous condition, it's just the new regulations differ from the old ones. It is sized correctly as the pressure drop across the pipe work is acceptable.

Would you rip up floors and check that an existing copper pipe was sufficiently supported along its entire length before fitting a replacement boiler?
If the pipe work passed through a wall would you cut it out, drill a larger hole and sleeve if it wasn't already?

And even if you would, do the regulations require you to do this?

I am doing a boiler install and the existing gas is 22mm with a 1/2 inch lead tail off the meter.

i would normally just swap them for a bit of 22 when the gas is off, I left it on today to get the boiler running tonight.

Theres a 1mb drop from meter to boiler, should i still change it?
now i have read this as 22mm to boiler 15mm lead to cooker? if its 15mm lead to boiler i can see why the lads are jumping down your neck can you clarify?

if you had made this your op, you would have had a totally different response, but as you didnt you got the response you did , as it sounded as though you had wasted your time at college.

A response which so far you've been unable to back up with any substance, just belittling and opinionated comments. Funny as earlier you suggested looping flow and return on a BBU chop, maybe you should get your head in the books for an evening and come back when you realise how stupid an answer it was.

Here is what it says in the regs.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 [1] state that lead or lead alloy pipes supplying gas are not to be installed.
However, historically, lead pipes were used to install gas meters and lead alloy pipes (known as lead composition pipes) were installed as installation pipes and can still be found in old housing stock. Providing this material is in good condition, sound, well supported and is of adequate size, connection may be made to steel or copper pipework using appropriate fittings (see Clause 7).

Nobody is going to shoot you if you leave it and it is not even ncs but best practice is to advise it is changed it if you come across it.

I went through college fine not that that has anything to do with the question. You are criticising me for wording a question wrong, why not just answer it instead filling the thread because you were not happy with how it was worded?

I would still class as NCS tamz as it is a material that is not recognised as being acceptable to today's standards.- not to current standards. I'm sure I've seen something on this somewhere as well.

I wouldn't be rsed even filling out the paperwork but an ncs would do no harm.

About the only reason they don't want you connecting on to it is hardly anyone knows how to do it anymore.
I'm sure some halfwit somewhere will have tried a leadlok on it :lol:

A response which so far you've been unable to back up with any substance, just belittling and opinionated comments. Funny as earlier you suggested looping flow and return on a BBU chop, maybe you should get your head in the books for an evening and come back when you realise how stupid an answer it was.

yeah perfectly true, as it didnt read well now you mention it, but unlike some on here I am happy to admit that, what I wrote didnt come across as what I was thinking, which exactly what happen on this thread. Problem being though I am the only one to own up to writing a bit a twaddle occassionally, everyone else just blames the other for the misunderstanding.

Where does it say the pipe work should be to the correct standards? It's not in a dangerous condition, it's just the new regulations differ from the old ones. It is sized correctly as the pressure drop across the pipe work is acceptable.

Would you rip up floors and check that an existing copper pipe was sufficiently supported along its entire length before fitting a replacement boiler?
If the pipe work passed through a wall would you cut it out, drill a larger hole and sleeve if it wasn't already?

And even if you would, do the regulations require you to do this?

6ynyvu9u.jpg
me3u9a4u.jpg

If you see a defect u can't leave it.

Hands up i didn't even know what practices you do with lead on gas, I've never come across it before.

What i do know is i would reference my books and also ask on here and expect a helpful response!

Not to be shot down as you've already been shot down in the past over it......

Hands up i didn't even know what practices you do with lead on gas, I've never come across it before.

What i do know is i would reference my books and also ask on here and expect a helpful response!

Not to be shot down as you've already been shot down in the past over it......

You can get away with it cos your still a boy :wink:
Just joshin :lol:

6ynyvu9u.jpg
me3u9a4u.jpg

If you see a defect u can't leave it.

I can barely read it, is it a Baxi manual? I would boycott this boiler purely on the fact they are making their own rules up which as we know take preference. Fair enough though you've dug them out and they do appear to say 'pipe work minimum 22mm' (not their place to say IMO, Worcester changed this not long after I phoned them up and said their product was unusable on most LPG installations as it was uneconomic) can't make much else out though.

Last edited:
I went through college fine not that that has anything to do with the question. You are criticising me for wording a question wrong, why not just answer it instead filling the thread because you were not happy with how it was worded?

I responded to your original post as it was written, as it seemed so basic, your reworded response makes more sense as mentioned, we all make mistakes so time to get over it peeps or we all will lined up in front of gasman for a slapping, then no one will be able to ask/answer questions again sensible or daft

But 'if you see a defect you can't leave it' is wrong mate. That's exactly the reason NCS exists. You cannot apply the regulation retrospectively (with the exception of flues in voids it seems!) there is no requirement to change an NCS , only notify that it exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Whereabouts are you based
Replies
Views
you will have to call the gas transporter /...
Replies
Views
I mean you can test with a multi meter on the...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
Back