Adding a secondary return to a system | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Adding a secondary return to a system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

They must have a reason to say must not be used.
If you think of worst case scenario
Cylinder immersions set to 70
On 24/7 and return pump on constant

The plastic pipes goes a bit floppy and you could have a fitting blow off.

At least most CH systems are sealed so you would only get a few buckets of water.
Only reason I can see is the British standard thing. If it had been tested and found the pipe fails under a secondary return system then surely they would state that.
They say their pipe will function correctly for 50 years at 90°c temperature and at 6bar so even in the most extreme cases of an unvented system breakdown, the pipe should be fine.

I believe it's something to do with the heat and it being oxygenated water. In a sealed system the water isn't fresh.

However I've never come across a proper answer to the question.

I only really found out about it when a few years ago a plumber I know had an issue with Polypipe fittings failing due to the circulating return. The fittings were just crumbling to bits, it was the second time in this house they'd had a flood because of the issue.

However as the system was fitted before 2007 the plastic manufactures hadn't realised by that point the circulating returns caused an issue. So they honoured the warranty, however I think since 2008 they've strictly stated that they cannot be used for cirulating returns.

I believe it's something to do with the heat and it being oxygenated water. In a sealed system the water isn't fresh.

However I've never come across a proper answer to the question.

I only really found out about it when a few years ago a plumber I know had an issue with Polypipe fittings failing due to the circulating return. The fittings were just crumbling to bits, it was the second time in this house they'd had a flood because of the issue.

However as the system was fitted before 2007 the plastic manufactures hadn't realised by that point the circulating returns caused an issue. So they honoured the warranty, however I think since 2008 they've strictly stated that they cannot be used for cirulating returns.
Crumbling fittings sounds extreme, I wonder how many systems there are out there that are ran in plastic. I know my bosses house has plastic secondarys which have been fine for 10+ years.

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
15 is fine for the return. Sometimes 10mm is...
Replies
Views
Back