Advice needed. Issues with underfloor heating and hot water system for new build | Bathroom Advice | Page 6 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice needed. Issues with underfloor heating and hot water system for new build in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

C

Carrera

Hi, i am looking for advice regarding my system. The plumber/heating engineers have been going round in circles trying different things and I am not sure they're will get to a solution.

The issues -
1. When the underfloor heating is on, the hot water cylinder does not heat up.
2. When heating just the hot water cylinder, the boiler starts cycling heavily.
3. Underfloor heating individual loops, flow rates drop as more manifolds come online.

The system -
Worcester Bosch 40cdi conventional, grundfos Magna 1 pump, Ariston 500 litre hot water cylinder, all located in a basement plant room. There are 6 underfloor heating manifolds, with ports varying from 6 to 10 with differing loop lengths, arranged over 4 floors. The system is controlled via a heatmiser network system with 30 stats in each room. There is also a towel radiator curcuit with 6 rads which we have not yet bought into the combined running equation yet.

The flow out of the boiler goes to the pump, then up to the two feeds to the manifolds ( First feed to 3 manifolds on one side of the house, ground floor, first floor and attic floor, second feed to 2 other manifolds ground floor and first floor and a third feed to the towel rad circuit). Before these feeds there is a T which feeds the hot water cylinder and the final manifold in the basement.

Temperatures at the manifolds in consistent at about 42c and the holier is outputting at 71c.

All zone valves operate correctly, all stats and timers are running and wired correctly.

Heat loss calcis have been done to size the boiler to the heat output required, indicating the boiler is oversized by about 8kw. The system has been in for about a year and it took us a while to figure out why the water was not heating properly.

Effectively when the heating is on the flow does not go through the T to the cylinder, but when the heating is off it does and therefore heats up the water.

Things that have been tried - pump has been upgraded to the one now in place, pipe work taken apart an equivalent of a low loss header using loops and spaced Ts has been tried and then removed. The T has been turned around to reduce resistance.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated as this is driving me nuts.
If I have missed vital information please let me know and I will try and answer.
many thanks in advance.

each manifold has its own pump at the manifold not in the plant room. Manifold picture earlier in the thread.

Hi, sorry on an iPhone.

Ok so you have zv on each manifold.
Don't like the 4 port blending valves. Difficult to balance. I prefer pump/ manifold return and primary flow. And then a balance-able return. Notice there is no pipe stat to tell the zv when flow is needed. So it's just open when manifold is on? Not much point in it. IMO , should have a pipe stat set on the returns from floor to blending valve and be set so that when flow cools and blending valve opens up for more primary heat and interlocks with boiler or in your case the LLH pump.

Also what is floor construction? Just that there is no conduit on the ufh pipes as they leave the floor? Always try and have 150mm of conduit above floor and 350 is below to protect from mechanical damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Carrera, To get the IR working you can paint the pipe black :)

Scenarios with testing .... I'd want to know what strain was being put on the boiler, so primary F&R's would be where I'd monitor under as many load scenario's as possible up to max load. If your flow temp drops below 60 DegC it'll start to draw heat out of the cylinders hot water. If the flow temp stays cool for a long time then I'd be pointing towards that being the reason why your hot water isn't getting to temp!

If you haven't already, I'd put the hot water on 24/7 or at least an all day setting.... :)

Sorry haven't been able to test much at all, as the system is not really working as it was left for the holidays. At the moment just about able to get warm water, boiler going on and off very 2 mins and the heating was working with a light load, but has now started doing the same. Will have to wait for the plumber to come back next week before I can really try anything

Give Worcester a call, your boiler is under warranty with them. You may have a fault on the boiler?
For the hot water, basically boiler fires, flow temp rises (set to 70), modulates lower and lower and kicks off when it goes over 70, water circulates for a couple of mins and then when temp hits about 40 boiler fires again, slowly getting to 70, before we go back round the loop. As you can imagine water takes ages to warm up this way, so have been combining thus with the emmersion over the holidays. I will give wb a call on Monday.

does not do this on heat, gets to 70 and stays there, however this morning started doing above with heating, but after a few attempts of me stopping and starting the heat, it appears to be ok.

For the hot water, basically boiler fires, flow temp rises (set to 70), modulates lower and lower and kicks off when it goes over 70, water circulates for a couple of mins and then when temp hits about 40 boiler fires again, slowly getting to 70, before we go back round the loop. As you can imagine water takes ages to warm up this way, so have been combining thus with the emmersion over the holidays. I will give wb a call on Monday.

does not do this on heat, gets to 70 and stays there, however this morning started doing above with heating, but after a few attempts of me stopping and starting the heat, it appears to be ok.

Without seeing what's going on it's difficult to give you anything accurate to be honest Carrera! Are you able to get a reading on the return as the flow is heating? If so there should be around 20DegC difference, thereabouts. If there's a rapid rise in temp to 70 before dropping back to 40 then I'd be wanting to know how well the pump was performing and/or is there a potential flow restriction somewhere? If the rise is gradual and there's a maintained 11-22DegC difference between F&R then Circulation is okay IMHO :)

:iagree: without 1st hand knowledge there's strange goings on being described...! It'd be handy to have to op's plumber on here to give us the heads up on what they've done so far! Doubt they'd like some of the chatter in the thread mind! :)

Carrera, I have a good read of this and it's the kind of problem that needs a site visit. It's a shame you are so far from me, I'm in Yorkshire, as I would have liked to have got my teeth into it and solved it for you. Saying that try this:

Turn hot water on, turn one underfloor manifold on upstairs, close all the lever valves at the top left of the photo, see if the cylinder heats, if so you have a severe balancing problem.

This may make no difference but it's worth trying. Modern cylinders have high resistance coils and the circuit to the manifolds will have a low resistance as the underfloor pumps take over the work after that.

Would it not be worth putting some gate valves on before the lever valves to restrict the ufh circ and towel rads to test weather it is drawing the heat away from the hot water, just a cheap option that might get you by until you figure out a more permanent solution

Carrera, this must be a record, 140 posts and still not fixed, you need a man who wears his underpants on the outside.
Xmas hols did not help, plumber should be back later this week with consultant and fresh look! Will give an update then if still interested.

i am pushing for low loss header set up, when I spoke to him, he said when required, they use the valliant ones, any they any good? Before I have a further conversation with him later this week when he brings a consultant in to have a look.

Tbh you shouldn't be pushing for anything apart from a working system. My advice would be to stay away from specifying as if it doesn't solve it you he's only doing what you have asked.

This should be his problem to own and run with.

Carrera,

Please take notice of what Howsie says, let the consultant do his job, don't you suggest anything to him, don't even mention you have be on the forum, then you don't need to tell the consultant what suggestions have been made here, personally I wouldn't want all and sundries ideas of what's wrong when they haven't seen the job.

If the consultant is any good he will sort it out, I have not read more than 10 of the post, why because if you haven't got it fixed after 20 posts then its going nowhere, a good heating consultant should come in the house and should have the answers to your problems before he leaves, if he doesn't sack him too!

To fix your problems, we need to be stood in front of the problem, not miles away, it can be done sometimes, but not always.

Tony

Carrera,

Please take notice of what Howsie says, let the consultant do his job, don't you suggest anything to him, don't even mention you have be on the forum, then you don't need to tell the consultant what suggestions have been made here, personally I wouldn't want all and sundries ideas of what's wrong when they haven't seen the job.

If the consultant is any good he will sort it out, I have not read more than 10 of the post, why because if you haven't got it fixed after 20 posts then its going nowhere, a good heating consultant should come in the house and should have the answers to your problems before he leaves, if he doesn't sack him too!

To fix your problems, we need to be stood in front of the problem, not miles away, it can be done sometimes, but not always.

Tony
Thanks happy flyer for your help in working through this

Carrera,

Sorry I could not have helped you sooner and saved you some time, I have not been posting for some time, hope now you can get on with putting it right-right, you know where
I am if you want me.

Tony

Similar plumbing topics

sticking actuator, try changing it over whith...
Replies
Views
I started a long winded response but deleted...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Or if 3.7LPM/zone = 14.8LPM
Replies
Views
  • Question
Air source heat pump ?
Replies
Views
Back