Approximately how long would this take you? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Approximately how long would this take you? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Y Plan to combi. drain and rip out existing boiler, remove tiles so new boiler fits, brick up internal flue hole. Drill new flue hole. washing machine and cooker has to come out numerous times to access stopcock and complete pipework below worktop. Worcester 24i jr hung and piped up. Hot, cold and condense drilled through worktop. gas pipe altered. F+E isolated and removed, cylinder left in for hot water for as long as necessary. cylinder removed, pipework in airing cupboard altered to suit combi. all redundant pipework from airing cupboard removed. tanks removed including numerous trips in and out of loft to remove everything and empty dregs of CWS tank. (no boards in ceiling whatsoever) Fill system and test. System cleaner added, redundant switches/sockets blanked, new wireless controls added, trunking added to conceal cable in airing cupboard, new ply added to floor to make good, old clips removed and holes filled. Boiler area made good - tiles cut and replaced where necessary, trim added to boiler area where tiling not suitable. New boiler commissioned, all scrap pipe/cylinder/rubbish removed with van a bit of a trek away.On your own how long?. Not a massive Property 1 bed house with 4 large rads. Easy for some but first y plan to combi done by myself. Pics coming.

2 comfortable days.

Although I've never gone to the extent of filling the old holes in airing cupboard.

im also a strip it on day 1 kinda guy messing around keeping stuff in slows you down. Plenty of warning they can pop to the gym or back to mums for a shower.

20141022_112525.jpg20141021_145538.jpg20141021_154758.jpg20141021_145449.jpg Before. Sorry unable to rotate pictures.

Off topic but that looks like a late 80s ward homes job possibly lordswood or grove green

2 comfortable days.

Although I've never gone to the extent of filling the old holes in airing cupboard.

im also a strip it on day 1 kinda guy messing around keeping stuff in slows you down. Plenty of warning they can pop to the gym or back to mums for a shower.
I agree. It did slow me down doing as instructed.

You've got a starter for 10 there with the old boiler out and flue bricked up.
Allow yourself 2 days to do it since its your 1st but plan on getting it up and running on day 1.
All the strip outs and making good, proper commisioning and paperwork can be done on an easy day 2.

You've got a starter for 10 there with the old boiler out and flue bricked up.
Allow yourself 2 days to do it since its your 1st but plan on getting it up and running on day 1.
All the strip outs and making good, proper commisioning and paperwork can be done on an easy day 2.
I have to speed up. Thing is I didn't stop, haven't eaten in work and not stopped sweating! lol

I consider myself slow and would take 2.5 - 3 days assuming everything whent to plan, longer if not. I would prefer to go in as a pair and do it in a day and a half. There is far greater efficiency with 2 than simply half the time 1 person would take.
Drain system then 1 takes out boiler while other syphons cylinder. 1 bricks up old flue while the other strips out loft. 1 cores wall for flue while other alters airing cupboard pipework and lifts boards to cut out dead legs. Hang boiler and pipe up while other tidies up or does wiring or bricks up outside old flue hole or completes condense pipework under sink or to gulley etc. Semi skilled apprentice would be ideal but have never had 1.

I know I have spent time thinking when with more experience that time will be spent doing.

I have to speed up. Thing is I didn't stop, haven't eaten in work and not stopped sweating! lol

Ash i've never eaten at work for 30 years and i've got the job done in my head as i walk in the door but i adapt the plan if i see a better way as i go.
You'll learn. Don't think about what you are doing think about what you are doing next.
2 days will pysh it, you'll see its not so hard :wink:

I know my boss expected it done quicker but I'm not going to flap too much about that, he knows im still learning and I have to do these jobs to learn the jobs. 12 months from now and I'll be laughing when I get a job like this.

Day if you think about it.
Do TT cap
Open hot tap. Turn off mains
Open cold tap.
Set rads away draining down
Sheet up.
Empty ch headder dregs into DHW cistern. Prop it up with ch cistern so water drains out as much as possible.
Start cutting off lagging and cut up vents. Then remove cold supply then everything else . Put all scrap in small headder. Rubbish and lagging in bigger headder. Put pushfit on outlets. Get down lift out rubbish.
Drain cylinder, while it's draining remove immersion cut out all un needed pipework. Remove cylinder bridge out and blank as req.
Carry out loot rubbish and cylinder. Cuppa.
Remove boiler and clear site for new one . Hang do flue and pipe up. Do gas first so it's cool when u do TT. Fill DHW check for leaks. Fill and vent.
Set TT away. Wire up. Check TT. Run boiler do conny and blow off while boilers getting hot. Clear up. Have lunch. 3pm ish. Commission. Come back next day and do all bits. Drain and refill system.

Don't keep going in and out of loft / work area. When u go to van carry some thing there and something back. Always think 2 steps ahead. Half lads running all over because they can't see what they are doing two moves infront.

We all had to learn usually by being flung in at the deep end.

My first full system was a 9 rad open system in an orlit house , baxi bbu, rip out out the old open fireplace, drop feeds, conversion coil.
I finished it in 4 days as i had the Tuesday at the collage.
I was a hungry 17 year old on £21/wk and only got offered the job as one of the tradesmen phoned in sick.
I got the going rate for the job which was price work of £68.
I never looked back after that.
A year later i was doing them in 3 days, the year after doing 2 a week and still had 1 day at collage.
You learn.
Biggest thing to learn is how houses are built.
Know this and you won't waste time trying to run pipes the hard way.

Do TT cap
Open cold tap.
Sheet up.
Empty ch headder dregs into DHW cistern. Prop it up with ch cistern so water drains out as much as possible.
Start cutting off lagging and cut up vents. Then remove cold supply then everything else . Put all scrap in small headder. Rubbish and lagging in bigger headder. Put pushfit on outlets. Get down lift out rubbish.
Drain cylinder, while it's draining remove immersion cut out all un needed pipework. Remove cylinder bridge out and blank as req.
Remove boiler and clear site for new one . Hang do flue and pipe up. Do gas first so it's cool when u do TT. Fill DHW check for leaks. Fill and vent.
Set TT away. Wire up. Check TT. Run boiler do conny and blow off while boilers getting hot. Clear up. Have lunch. 3pm ish. Commission. Come back next day and do all bits. Drain and refill system.

Don't keep going in and out of loft / work area. When u go to van carry some thing there and something back. Always think 2 steps ahead. Half lads running all over because they can't see what they are doing two moves infront.
Glad you're not my boss! In all seriousness though I know there are ways I can speed things up but it's all about doing the jobs a few times and getting a better routine. It would have made life easier if I could have ripped everything out straight away and got rid straight away. Also can't be piling the van up with scrap when I will need to get stuff on and off when it's needed. I'm taking positives from it because I learnt a lot. Starting another Combi conversion Monday so should be able to go in running after this.

Do TT cap
Open cold tap.
Sheet up.

Going to work off that starting next week and see how I go.

Also can't be piling the van up with scrap when I will need to get stuff on and off when it's needed.
If you have a big van its not a problem. If not leave the strip out for day 2 (bar the cylinder)
Btw always throw scrap straight in the van. Never leave it where the bstd custs can see it :wink:

Going to work off that starting next week and see how I go.
Thats an rse for elbow way of doing it for me but everyone to their own. You'll learn what way suits you best.
Don't worry about it. This job is easy when you get your head in gear.

2 days for me , if boilers in same position its a straight forward rip out old sh!te first then fit boiler but if the boilers either going on a different wall or different position then il fit new boiler and run pipes leaving the folks with heating as long as poss, usually id have everything ready first day ( unless complications arise ) and swap over and test on day 2,

I've just done a similar job but with TRVs on all rads and a right pig of a run to get the hot water connected. Priced it on three days, could easily have done it in two but saved the TRvs and flush for day 3 so I could take my time finishing up. Still had time for 3 jobs after I finished on Thursday and home for 4. Got heating back up and running on day one and left the immersion in so they had hot water. Wasted an hour on Tuesday tracing where a mystery pump under the stairs was connected to, only to find it was connected to pipework that had been disconnected. It was still connected to a mains feed and running though, amazingly it had been running dry for years and not seized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Get a roofer to replace a ridge tile and you...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
If you are thinking about installing pv panels...
Replies
Views
👍🏻 I knew the fire ones had to be, we've done...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Impossible to answer, literally. The only part...
Replies
Views
Back