Approximately how long would this take you? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Approximately how long would this take you? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 days min I would say. I always quote assuming 4 days and often get the job. Some guys are obv a lot quicker from the sound of it!

Ash are you happy with the job? Is the customer happy? Does it work?? If it ticks these three boxes that's all that matters. As others have said speed will come with practice. It's still a learning curve and I'm sure you learnt a lot on that job.
looks good to me, fair play for having the nuts to put pictures up.

Ash are you happy with the job? Is the customer happy? Does it work?? If it ticks these three boxes that's all that matters. As others have said speed will come with practice. It's still a learning curve and I'm sure you learnt a lot on that job.
looks good to me, fair play for having the nuts to put pictures up.
I'm happy with the install, I think it looks ok. It all works. If I was working for myself I'd have no problems at all. I flapped a but the first day and I was concentrating on the wrong things. Now I know where I can knock a day off if I go about it the right way. I won't be able to do it in a day, I know my boss will say to leave the cylinder but I reckon I can get done in 2.

I'm happy with the install, I think it looks ok. It all works. If I was working for myself I'd have no problems at all. I flapped a but the first day and I was concentrating on the wrong things. Now I know where I can knock a day off if I go about it the right way. I won't be able to do it in a day, I know my boss will say to leave the cylinder but I reckon I can get done in 2.

That's the main thing Ash. You've learned, your confidence is up, you're happy, your custard is happy, your boss is mostly happy.

Everyone has to walk before they can run.

Except Tamz......

If your working for a company then 3 days, if on your own then 2 days. especially when you are doing all the odd jobs, tiling, filling holes and replacing floors.

Hi Ash,

As stated, you have got Go Nads of putting up pictures of one of your jobs.

Don't be too flustered about how long it took you to complete.
( As an employer - there are many exceptions to this rule )

If everybody is happy and the system works, you've done well.

Doing things in record time is sometimes fraught with mistakes.
I would rather take time and do a job properly and correctly than do it quick and have to go back to rectify careless / stupid mistakes.
Not only is it costly, it reduces the customers confidence in you and they start to question the quality of the job.

Be proud of yourself and the work that you do.

Practice will not make you perfect, but it will speed you up and give you more confidence.

Keep up the good work

All i can say on this thread is i am doing something wrong, 1 day, 2 day, i would put down 3 min with day 4 available just in case.

Every job is different I suppose. Last week I had a baxi back boiler and cylinder in loft . Changed to a combi in the kitchen. First day I removed a bit of worktop hung boiler and started running in pipes. There was a bit of room und er the floor and it was carpets so was lucky I could lift plenty hatches. Got all pipes run in on day one bearing in mind I work long days so hours put in would probably be 2 n a half days. You might come accross problems as no two jobs are yhd same so each to there own.Here's couple pics of the job. I had to cut unit and worktop once boiler fitted.

Attachments

• 20141016_154615.jpg
    20141016_154615.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 41
  • 20141018_134426.jpg
    20141018_134426.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
Forgot this pic

Attachments

• 20141018_134416.jpg
    20141018_134416.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 75
Day if you think about it.
Do TT cap
Open hot tap. Turn off mains
Open cold tap.
Set rads away draining down
Sheet up.
Empty ch headder dregs into DHW cistern. Prop it up with ch cistern so water drains out as much as possible.
Start cutting off lagging and cut up vents. Then remove cold supply then everything else . Put all scrap in small headder. Rubbish and lagging in bigger headder. Put pushfit on outlets. Get down lift out rubbish.
Drain cylinder, while it's draining remove immersion cut out all un needed pipework. Remove cylinder bridge out and blank as req.
Carry out loot rubbish and cylinder. Cuppa.
Remove boiler and clear site for new one . Hang do flue and pipe up. Do gas first so it's cool when u do TT. Fill DHW check for leaks. Fill and vent.
Set TT away. Wire up. Check TT. Run boiler do conny and blow off while boilers getting hot. Clear up. Have lunch. 3pm ish. Commission. Come back next day and do all bits. Drain and refill system.

Don't keep going in and out of loft / work area. When u go to van carry some thing there and something back. Always think 2 steps ahead. Half lads running all over because they can't see what they are doing two moves infront.

Very good but I have spotted 1 problem! You only mentioned 1 cup of tea! I can't survive like that I need at least 3 or 4.

I'm not the quickest by far (I can't seem to do a combi swap under 9-10 hours) I would look at 3 days myself.

I am one of these though that to try and keep disruption to a minimum I try to leave hot water etc on as long as possible. I think this does make things longer but customers seem happy with it.

All these lads who can do it in a day I take my hat off to you all you must be machines!

It is not always possible to leave hot water on all the times. I come across some cylinders with no immersion fitted.
Personally, I always tell customer it will take 2-3 days (assuming there are no hidden 'complications'). That way I cover my arzze before they start asking me at the beginning of day 2 if hot water is coming? Errrrmm, possibly, but remember I did say 2-3 days? That shuts them up

Plenty of good replies here. I need to sort my routine out but it's hard when I have someone telling me do this do that. Although not ideal, if I could rip everything out straight away, even though the customer might have no hot water for a night the job would be done quicker. It will all work itself out eventually.

I know my boss expected it done quicker but I'm not going to flap too much about that, he knows im still learning and I have to do these jobs to learn the jobs. 12 months from now and I'll be laughing when I get a job like this.
Bit of 'swagger' from some of the replies on here,the truth is no job is the same,if the job went ok,customer happy,build your confidence.Truth is there is always gonna be quicker guys than you and slower guys.I bet your don't look at the urinal next to you when taking a ****...

It's experience and quality that count . Speed is for the ones on price.

Too true Erm fortunately down here you can still get a reasonable price so can take your time occasionally and have more pride in the end result. Doing more work for landlords recently so things might change..........................

Ive just done my first boiler swap for 2 years conventional with internal flue to combi in a 3 floor town house took me 3 days had 2 problems, the bathroom rad was on the primaries luckily the bathroom is going to be my next job and it will get connected up then the house is new to the present owner and they didnt know if it worked in summer so i had already said it could be a problem
and the main which i assumed run up a duct with all the other pipework didnt and had to join it to cold feed in loft again it can be crossed lower down when i do the bathroom always nice if you can leave a dry loft IMAG0088.jpgbelive it or not all the pipework is plumb the grout lines in the tile were 5 mm out of plumb above the work top and the other way below

Last edited:
Nice work. Do u not remove all your rubbish when ur doing a job? Just noticed a big lump on return ? [emoji74]logics are nice tho!

Nice install Steve. I hate stickers on boiler cases, never seem to peel off in one.

i hate town houses the running up and down the extra flight of stairs is worth half a day extra any body else find this to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Get a roofer to replace a ridge tile and you...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
If you are thinking about installing pv panels...
Replies
Views
👍🏻 I knew the fire ones had to be, we've done...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Impossible to answer, literally. The only part...
Replies
Views
Back