Approximately how long would this take you? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Approximately how long would this take you? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
All i can say on this thread is i am doing something wrong, 1 day, 2 day, i would put down 3 min with day 4 available just in case.
Your not alone in that range of timescales mine often go that way. Normaly because I missed something daft at survey and end up changing a flue or condense route. All I know is when im done there is a good install in place and the customer is happy. I charge fairly but if I think I have run over because of my own inability to work faster I dont charge more I just take the hit. I am never going to be a wealthy man off the back of my company but its a living and thats all that matters to me.
That is of course the luxury of working for yourself no boss looking to eek a little more profit out of you. I prefer to earn less and live relatively stress free.
I know the timescales posted on this thread by some of our seasoned installers are pretty dam quick and I dare say they may even complete an install to a higher standard but as far as I am concerned, if you leave the customer with what you quoted for and above all else they are happy, job done.

Maybe in another 10 years I will be slinging in 6 pristine installs a week only time will tell but I doubt it I guess im just wired more tortoise than hare.

i hate town houses the running up and down the extra flight of stairs is worth half a day extra any body else find this to be true?
Yes.
Also it should be law for all lofts to have propper fixed crawl boatds and wired lighting and a socket if they have any plumbing in them.
And why do 50DDING diyers insist on fitting giant digital freeview aerials across the perlins in lofts or just generally in the way they always seem balanced on a nail or cable tied to something exactly where I need room to reach the other side of the loft for the f&e etc.

If you were a sole trader, it takes as long as it takes... You've priced it, you do the work, you're reputation is on the line and future work. In my drunk haze as everyone is now watching the recording of X factor, yes unfortunately there is no escape!

what I gather, you have a boss who obviously prices the job and has overheads and needs a profit etc or it goes pear shaped for everybody

You have to work to your bosses expect actions within a time limit, I'm not saying he/she is unreasonable, it's a business with profit in mind

im a subbie, that's my thing and there's a lot of peeps who are in command of their own destiny, sole trader, small med firms etc.

lost at my thread, fleur was on, sexy like Janet Jackson

many years ago I was a window fitter, multi million pound mansion to fit windows. The best team was sent down to fit. Great job well within time, the custard spent £50k on this.

surveyour sent down and company director on completion for hand over. Custard says 2 weeks for the job you done it in in a week, I'm not happy.

rip out all windows, same fitters, takes exactly 2 weeks to the hour, custard happy, everybody gets paid

I would always go for quality of work over speed and please don't anyone ever think because someone can do something quicker that you that they are better than you in any way.
I know guys who are "throwing in" 5 x 9 and 10 rad full systems a week and are rarely home after 5 but they cut every corner you can imagine and know they leave shyt work.
I know they are better than that as they worked for me in the past, they are good guys but the companies they work for push speed before anything else.
You never want to turn into that unless needs must. Btw i've done that too and know just about every shortcut and half rsed way to do most things but i choose not to these days.
Your speed will come with experience in more things than plumbing and you will make lots of mistakes while you learn.

I've been doing this a long time now. Done well into the 1000's of heating systems so i really don't need to think about anything except maybe what is for dinner that night. That saves a lot of time.
I know how every type of house, with very few exceptions, are built so know where and where not to try to put pipes.
I don't need to read MI's unless it is something i've never done before so i already know how to get a baxi or whatever to high fire without looking it up (more time saved).
These things are all experience. Thinking takes time and most things to me are now (becoming) boring routine.
I've probably made every mistake most of you can think of in the past and more and got away with it because i grew up in different times where people (customers) weren't so much up their own rses and accepted that mistakes happen.
I've been standing sweeping the water out the back door when the woman walked in the kitchen, asked if i needed wellies and told me to put the kettle on for her and make myself one when i got a minute (you wouldn't get that these days :lol:)

I would always go for quality of work over speed and please don't anyone ever think because someone can do something quicker that you that they are better than you in any way.
I know guys who are "throwing in" 5 x 9 and 10 rad full systems a week and are rarely home after 5 but they cut every corner you can imagine and know they leave shyt work.
I know they are better than that as they worked for me in the past, they are good guys but the companies they work for push speed before anything else.
You never want to turn into that unless needs must. Btw i've done that too and know just about every shortcut and half rsed way to do most things but i choose not to these days.
Your speed will come with experience in more things than plumbing and you will make lots of mistakes while you learn.

I've been doing this a long time now. Done well into the 1000's of heating systems so i really don't need to think about anything except maybe what is for dinner that night. That saves a lot of time.
I know how every type of house, with very few exceptions, are built so know where and where not to try to put pipes.
I don't need to read MI's unless it is something i've never done before so i already know how to get a baxi or whatever to high fire without looking it up (more time saved).
These things are all experience. Thinking takes time and most things to me are now (becoming) boring routine.
I've probably made every mistake most of you can think of in the past and more and got away with it because i grew up in different times where people (customers) weren't so much up their own rses and accepted that mistakes happen.
I've been standing sweeping the water out the back door when the woman walked in the kitchen, asked if i needed wellies and told me to put the kettle on for her and make myself one when i got a minute (you wouldn't get that these days :lol:)
that sums it up for me as well you take ten years after qualifying to be able to do it all on auto pilot but unfortunately just like life you at some point you start to go backwards(born bald and incontinent die bald and incontinent ) and it starts to get harder again i have definately passed the point of no return recently

Every job is different I suppose. Last week I had a baxi back boiler and cylinder in loft . Changed to a combi in the kitchen. First day I removed a bit of worktop hung boiler and started running in pipes. There was a bit of room und er the floor and it was carpets so was lucky I could lift plenty hatches. Got all pipes run in on day one bearing in mind I work long days so hours put in would probably be 2 n a half days. You might come accross problems as no two jobs are yhd same so each to there own.Here's couple pics of the job. I had to cut unit and worktop once boiler fitted.
How come you don't fit the Worcester filter?

Good to see you back on mate. Where you been hiding? Hope you're keeping busy.

how did the advert at the football work out for you in the end?

Hi mate, it was OK returned 2 x boiler changes, it was while we were in the 3rd division also maybe next year it would be worth more, paid for itself, and a little more, good for branding tho!

Ash you have been on here from the start of your career and we have seen you come on leaps and bounds
You have a great work ethic and take pride in trying to learn and get better
Your a credit to yourself and anyone looking to get into plumbing should take a leaf out of your book
Well done and keep it up
Thanks. I appreciate it, I still have so much to learn. It's the heating install side of things I enjoy most. Conversion from Y plan, S plan etc to combi such as this I seem to struggle with. Doing the work is ok but I doubt myself and get confused with what connections I need to be making with the heating pipes! Really enjoying things though and I feel as though I have come on a lot. I enjoy the work and I enjoy learning new ways to do things. I'm probably never going to be the quickest but as long as I do it right I'm happy. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Mate we all learn everyday and you will always doubt yourself
And you will even wake up at night thinking did I do that or did I turn that water off lol
Happens to us all

I priced a similar job for 4 days. Its takes just as long to install pipes badly as it does nicely so why rush at it? I'am not the fastest and don't claim to be.
64 year old guy I did my apprenticeship with would work at a slow steady pace and would still be way faster than me when I had a rush on haha

Ash,I haven't read all the posts. One thing to remember if your employed, you don't want to be to fast. You'll just end up disappearing up your own sphincter! Your boss will get richer and you more stressed.
Self employed, different beast.

I know my boss expected it done quicker but I'm not going to flap too much about that, he knows im still learning and I have to do these jobs to learn the jobs. 12 months from now and I'll be laughing when I get a job like this.

he can have it done in 1day , but he will then need to pay you min £700-£800 labour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Get a roofer to replace a ridge tile and you...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
If you are thinking about installing pv panels...
Replies
Views
👍🏻 I knew the fire ones had to be, we've done...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Impossible to answer, literally. The only part...
Replies
Views
Back