Are you busy !? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter tomskinner
  • Start date
  • Replies 127
  • Views 16K

Discuss Are you busy !? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried to get anything ! if youv'e been SE for any length of time you will get NOTHING .

I'm reallt quiet at the moment. I have had a fair few quotes for new boilers recently but even though I have dropped my prices I am still too expensive and losing the job. To be honest for the amount of money these people are going to make on the job with the price they put in, they are welcome to it. I would rather sit at home and not work, than work for next to nothing and resent it.

I'm really busy and booked up until the end of July, but getting scarce are the high end bathrooms that pay really well, mainly mid range ones now and in quantity.

Doing a roaring trade as well installing the £50 budget Triton electric showers that Screw fix have just introduced. Great wee showers for the money and a good earner.

Rated People keeps me busy with wee £100 jobs when I'm held up on a bathroom install. Not everyones cup of tea but I only buy the £3.50 leads and it's worked well enough for me, plus most jobs lead to something bigger outwith the Rated People site.

The time to advertise the most is when you're busy, coz when you're not, you've left it too late.

I always feel bad for the guys with nothing on when this question gets asked and I'm busy.

I'm very busy though. I have a partner and employ a couple of blokes. We're not turning anything away and are booked up for the next 6 months at least. Looking for a dorment volcano as I prepare for world domination!! ;)

Hope it picks up for you guys with less on. I win a lot on word of mouth, I don't advertise at all. I count my lucky stars.

Well dannypipe you are one of the lucky one's, see some of the guys in Scotland seam to be doing ok as well, just hope it lasts for you ! Beem realey slowing down in the West Country, summer on it's way work gets quite bad then, serviceing work nill, install work nill ! just picking up odd plumbing jobs, still keeps the van in Derv..

I count my lucky stars. I pop to a local pub every Friday after work and a lot of local tradesmen get in there. Its a real mixed bag. Some are totally dead, others are super busy. Famine or feast!

Same here, I hope that work gets better for you guys with not a lot on. One good bit of advice I can give, is be prepared to travel and don't just stick to your own backyard. That's where my 0844 number comes in handy as I can advertise in any area with it without it looking like an area code from my own town.

Should be more pushing for plumbers from this forum to go round and do the work, instead of us all blindly giving free advice to Joe Public seeking answers for free just to save a few bob.

I wanted to have all of this week off and some of next but unfortunately I've been dragged out for tomorrow and will have to do at least a day or so next week. Reason I wanted the time off was I've been flat out for the last 3-4 months.

However, I do sense a quiet patch coming up.

I have a feeling that interest rates might rise later in the year and this will push up mortgage payments. Loads of reasons why interest rates shouldn't rise, but all this quantitive easing (aka bank loans) will have to be paid for and raising interest rates is about the best way to fight inflation. In addition, Greece has not been solved, nor Spain, nor Italy or Portugal and if Europe has a crash, bang, wallop this will affect the UK quite significantly. Also the US is not in the best of health and China's economy is starting to contract from it's major growth.

Governments in Europe, US and UK are just plugging small holes at the moment but missing the elephant in the room for fear of losing elections.

I'm on a fixed rate mortgage for the next year. If it goes up the minute the fixed rate stops, I'll be a bit screwed. I should do something about that I guess!!

I'm on a fixed rate mortgage for the next year. If it goes up the minute the fixed rate stops, I'll be a bit screwed. I should do something about that I guess!!
I know quite a few folk up here who have sold their homes and got rid of their mortgages and now rent from a Housing Association. Many of the rented properties are new builds and work out far cheaper to rent than a mortgage, plus all the maintenance is thrown in for free. Besides a mortgage is just a rent to a bank.

Well except that in 30 years I get to keep the house, and with rent it's never ending.

We spent thousands and thousands, renting for years. It's money down the drain in my opinion. We've left those homes now, and all we've done is pay the landlords mortgage for him.

No, Im quiet at the moment, so much so that Ive been wall tiling today,

But I have got a 6 boilers to install in July.

I'm looking forward to the summer coz if it keeps on going as it is I'm gonna have one heck of a holiday with all the time I've prayed for :)

I trully hope you're all keeping your head above water ... If not consider the shallow end :lol: :D

you not busy diamond ?

I'm plodding along, best description :) Busy for me is working after 2pm :) I've noticed a drop in my private work though! A couple of regulars have not responded to my calls or letters *shrug*

I'm fortunate in that I don't need to make much to get buy I reckon Bod! House is paid for, van's paid for .. got no debt! Cupl of hundred a week covers it :)

I'm plodding along, best description :) Busy for me is working after 2pm :) I've noticed a drop in my private work though! A couple of regulars have not responded to my calls or letters *shrug*

I'm fortunate in that I don't need to make much to get buy I reckon Bod! House is paid for, van's paid for .. got no debt! Cupl of hundred a week covers it :)

got a contact insouth shields who uses plumbers gsr guys if thats any good to keep the beer fund up

got a contact insouth shields who uses plumbers gsr guys if thats any good to keep the beer fund up

Thanks for the offer bod .. :) Shields is hike I'd do if times become desperate :) I still have enough to get buy though for the near future! I'm loving the time with the missus and family TBH :)

I've had a complete turnaround from the last 3 weeks. I'm now going to be flat out for the next 6 weeks, which is nice as I've avaeraged less than £200 a week turnover for the last 3 weeks. I've actually had to turn some work down which isn't nice but it's urgent and I'm on site that day awaiting deliveries so can't even nip off. I'm even going to have to do a couple of evenings next week as the log cabin I'm plumbing up will be ready for first fix.

It would be nice if the work would space itself out properly rather than coming all at once.

One thing i learnt very quickly as a one man band or small firm is that work never seem to space itself out .
I 'm either nothing on /plodding along earning not alot and stressed from lack of work then suddenly jobs i have priced roll in same time and phone rings for small works and get stressed as cant find enough hours in the day .

I'm just starting off on my own, and in my first week of being in existence I did 1 job. Small, couple of hours. At least it was something. I have a days work next week, and nothing after that for the moment. *scratches head and wonders if setting up on my own was a good idea??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello All, I am looking for an experienced...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Mcalpine sk1 or sk2 is what you need
Replies
Views
Id say recal at that price....as soon as it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Plumbing Advice, by Country Professional...
Replies
Views
Back